RubberDucks Walk off in 10
The Akron RubberDucks took the series opener Thursday night at Canal Park in walk-off fashion over the Richmond Flying Squirrels by a score of 5-4 thanks to a line drive RBI single from Alexis Pantoja in the bottom of the tenth inning.
The RubberDucks put together a rally in the bottom of the tenth, which began with Trenton Brooks at second base, Alex Call reaching safely on a throwing error, then a fielder's choice advanced Trenton Brooks to third base. Alexis Pantoja came up with two outs and laced a first pitch fastball over the head of a leaping shortstop into left field for the game-winner, 5-4.
Akron RubberDucks starter Kyle Dowdy made his second start since being returned to the Cleveland Indians organization, and battled through command trouble in his 3.2 innings of work, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits and four walks. Cleveland Indians pitcher Carlos Carrasco made his second rehab appearance in the fifth inning and working 1.2 hitless innings, striking out four Richmond hitters. Carrasco, Anthony Gose, Henry Martinez, and Dalbert Siri were tremendous out of the bullpen for Akron, combining for nine strikeouts over six and a third innings of relief.
The RubberDucks offense responded to an early run from the Flying Squirrels with a three-spot in the bottom of the seconf inning. Alex Call began the inning with a walk, then Mitch Longo single through the box into center field, all before Nellie Rodriguez smashed a 2-2 fastball into the right-center field gap to score both Longo and Call. Alexis Pantoja would follow that up with a line drive single of his own to right field, and Oscar Gonzalez would give the Ducks their third run of the inning on a sacrifice fly to center, making the score 3-1 after two innings of play. Mitch Longo was long gone in the bottom of the sixth when he blasted a solo home run to the Bud Light Lime Tiki Terrace in right field, tying the score at 4-4. Alexis Pantoja went 3-for-5 for the Ducks including the game winner to send everyone home happy in the bottom of the tenth inning, making the score 5-4.
Carlos Carrasco posted a line of 1.2 innings, zero hits, and four strikeouts, throwing 25 pitches and 17 strikes... Dalbert Siri, who earned the win in the 10-inning game, has not allowed a run in an Eastern-League game since July 18th, working 12.1 scoreless innings in 11 games ... The RubberDucks' last walk-off win also came against the Richmond Flying Squirrels when Ernie Clement drove in the game-winner on May 24th by the score of 2-1 ... The RubberDucks are now 8-10 in games that go to extra innings this season ... Time of Game: 3:33... Attendance: 5,193
On the Pond
The RubberDucks will continue their series with the Richmond Flying Squirels Friday night at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. Lefthander Adam Scott (4-4, 3.63) will take the ball for Akron against RHP Alfred Gutierrez (8-4, 4.07) of the Richmond Flying Squirrels.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Squirrels Drop Road Trip Opener in Extras to RubberDucks - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Power Their Way to Series-Opening Win over Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Walk off in 10 - Akron RubberDucks
- Offense Backs Lowther's 13th Win - Bowie Baysox
- Offense Backs Lowther's 13th Win - Bowie Baysox
- Season-High Four Homers Power Fisher Cats Past 'Ponies, 9-4 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Lowther Leads Baysox to Win over Curve - Altoona Curve
- Howard, Fightins Win Duel at Hartford, 2-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Taylor's First-Inning Blast Stands Up in 3-2 Decision - Harrisburg Senators
- Yard Goats Sacrifice Stellar Pitching in Loss to Phils - Hartford Yard Goats
- Trenton Takes the Opener from Portland, 7-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Back-To-Back Blanks: Thunder Shut out Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #128: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-37, 61-66) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (27-34, 58-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Final Fisher Cats Homestand of 2019 Starts Tonight - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 22nd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Canal Park to Host Festival of Beers on September 21 - Akron RubberDucks
- Squirrels Outlast SeaWolves, Take Series with 13th-Inning Walk-Off - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Fourth on the Field 2020 Postponed
- 2020 Akron RubberDucks Season Cancelled
- Archbishop Hoban, St. Vincent-St. Mary Set to Renew Rivalry at Canal Park July 11
- Fourth on the Field Fireworks Presented by Goodyear Set for Saturday July 4
- Start of RubberDucks' Season Pushed to at Least June 15