RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip
RubberDucks center fielder Ka'ai Tom hit a two-run triple in the eighth inning of a 3-2, extra-inning win that completed Wednesday's rain-suspended second game of a doubleheader, and left fielder Mitch Longo hit two of Akron's four home runs in a 12-6 win over the Reading Fightin Phils to earn a four-game series split at FirstEnergy Stadium Thursday night.
In a 1-1, eighth-inning tie from Wednesday night, RubberDucks shortstop Ernie Clement hit an infield single, before Tom's two-run triple made it 3-1 against Reading right-hander Addison Russ (1-4). In Thursday's scheduled game, Akron erased a 3-1 deficit with a second-inning, two-out rally. First baseman Nellie Rodriguez hit a solo home run, second baseman Alexis Pantoja singled, catcher Logan Ice walked, and Longo grounded a game-tying double off third base. The RubberDucks scored three more in the next inning, including Pantoja's two-run single to make it 6-3.
Left-hander Rob Kaminsky finished the initial victory in the bottom of the eighth, stranding the tying run at second base. In Thursday's game, left-hander Adam Scott (1-0) allowed six earned runs in 5 2/3 innings and won his Double-A debut. Left-hander Ben Krauth pitched two scoreless innings, and right-hander Jared Robinson got the final four outs.
Longo hit Akron's first leadoff home run of the season - and his first since April 5 - in the first inning off Reading right-hander Adonis Medina and led off the fourth inning with a home run against left-hander Jeff Singer, giving Akron runs in each of the first four innings. A four-run seventh-inning - without a hit but three walks a hit batter, error, wild pitch and sacrifice fly - widened the lead from 7-6 to 11-6. Tom's eighth-inning home run was his team-high 12th of the season.
Clement was hitless in Thursday's game to snap a 14-game hitting streak, the longest by a RubberDuck this season...Akron scored its second-most runs in a game (15 in Reading May 11) and has hit four home runs twice in Reading and three times overall this season...Time of games: 2:06 (Wednesday Game 2), 3:01...Attendance: 5,011.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks open a three-game series against Erie at Canal Park at 7:05 p.m. Friday. Akron RHP Jake Paulson (5-4, 3.84) is scheduled to face SeaWolves RHP Matt Manning (5-4, 2.35) The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Former RubberDucks Utility Man and 2019 RubberDucks Hitting Coach Justin Toole Promoted to Cleveland Indians Major League Staff
- Akron RubberDucks Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Akron RubberDucks Announce 2020 Bobblehead Schedule
- Akron RubberDucks Announce Three Job Fairs for February, March
- RubberDucks to Extend Safety Netting for 2020 Season