Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale
Nick Nelson carried a no-hit bid into the sixth inning Thursday night for the Thunder, who fell to the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 4-3, in front of a crowd of 5,561 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Nelson allowed just three baserunners through his first five innings via two walks and an error and received run support from a two-run homer by Wendell Rijo in the fourth inning. A one-out single in the sixth by Richmond's Jonah Arenado, however, ended the no-hit bid and placed the tying run aboard to spell the end of the evening for Nelson, who had thrown 96 pitches. Brady Lail (1-1) entered in relief and after striking out Zach Houchins, allowed a two-run homer to Gio Brusa, giving Richmond a 3-2 lead.
Nelson struck out eight batters, a Double-A career-high. The loss denied the Thunder (1-1) a series sweep and ended a three-game winning streak.
In the bottom of the sixth, Hoy Jun Park earned a one-out walk, stole second base and reached third on a late and errant throw by Richmond catcher Matt Winn. Park then scored on a passed ball to tie the score at 3-3.
The Flying Squirrels (1-1) plated the decisive run in the eighth off Lail. Joneshwy Fargas led off with a walk, stole second base and scored on a Jacob Heyward single.
Richmond starter Caleb Baragar struck out eight batters over five and one-third innings before turning duties over to the bullpen, which retired 11 of the final 12 Thunder batters.
Rashad Crawford went 1-for-4 with a single as the Thunder leadoff hitter, extending his on-base streak to 11 games, matching Kellin Deglan for the team's longest active on-base streak.
Your Thunder open a three-game road trip on Friday at 6:35 p.m. against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. RHP Garrett Whitlock (3-2, 2.87) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Nate Pearson (0-1, 2.70) will go for New Hampshire. Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Thunder Welcome Next Generation of Bat Dog Tradition
- Thunder Extend Partnership with Flagship Radio Station Through 2022 Season
- White Claw Riverview Dugout Seats on Sale Now for 2020 Season
- Yankees Set 2020 Thunder Coaching Staff
- El Trueno de Trenton Return for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park