Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale
Nick Nelson carried a no-hit bid into the sixth inning Thursday night for the Thunder, who fell to the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 4-3, in front of a crowd of 5,561 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Nelson allowed just three baserunners through his first five innings via two walks and an error and received run support from a two-run homer by Wendell Rijo in the fourth inning. A one-out single in the sixth by Richmond's Jonah Arenado, however, ended the no-hit bid and placed the tying run aboard to spell the end of the evening for Nelson, who had thrown 96 pitches. Brady Lail (1-1) entered in relief and after striking out Zach Houchins, allowed a two-run homer to Gio Brusa, giving Richmond a 3-2 lead.
Nelson struck out eight batters, a Double-A career-high. The loss denied the Thunder (1-1) a series sweep and ended a three-game winning streak.
In the bottom of the sixth, Hoy Jun Park earned a one-out walk, stole second base and reached third on a late and errant throw by Richmond catcher Matt Winn. Park then scored on a passed ball to tie the score at 3-3.
The Flying Squirrels (1-1) plated the decisive run in the eighth off Lail. Joneshwy Fargas led off with a walk, stole second base and scored on a Jacob Heyward single.
Richmond starter Caleb Baragar struck out eight batters over five and one-third innings before turning duties over to the bullpen, which retired 11 of the final 12 Thunder batters.
Rashad Crawford went 1-for-4 with a single as the Thunder leadoff hitter, extending his on-base streak to 11 games, matching Kellin Deglan for the team's longest active on-base streak.
Your Thunder open a three-game road trip on Friday at 6:35 p.m. against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. RHP Garrett Whitlock (3-2, 2.87) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Nate Pearson (0-1, 2.70) will go for New Hampshire. Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.