Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter
Hartford, CT - Zac Lowther, Hunter Harvey and Dillon Tate combined to toss a three-hitter as the Baysox defeated Hartford 5-1 on Thursday night, completing a three-game series sweep of the Yard Goats. With the win, Bowie moved to 2-0 in the second half and has now won 10 of the last 11 and 13 of the last 16 games.
Hartford scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first inning, but was held off the board for the rest of the evening.
Bowie got on the board in the top of the third inning, scoring three times to take the lead. After a one out walk to Mason McCoy, Ryan McKenna reached on an error, putting two on base for Rylan Bannon, who came through with an RBI double to tie the game. McKenna then scored on a wild pitch to give Bowie a 2-1 advantage. Carlos Perez followed with a sacrifice fly, scoring Bannon to make it 3-1 Baysox.
In the fifth, McKenna reached on a throwing error to begin the inning, and was followed by a Bannon walk. After a double play that put McKenna on third base, Willy Yahn hit his second RBI double in as many nights, extending the lead to 4-1.
Baysox starter Zac Lowther exited the game after the fifth inning, but had another outstanding night. The left-hander allowed just one run on two hits, striking out five and earning his team-leading seventh win of the season.
In the top of the sixth, Preston Palmeiro led off with a double and was brought home two batters later by Mason McCoy, who doubled as well.
Bowie's bullpen pitched four innings of scoreless baseball to seal the victory. Hunter Harvey relieved Lowther and tossed three innings of shutout ball. Harvey has now pitched six innings without allowing a run since moving to the bullpen. Dillon Tate recorded the final three outs of the night.
The Baysox will travel to Harrisburg and begin a three-game series tomorrow night against the West Division first half champion Senators. Alex Wells will start the series opener for Bowie.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.