Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford
Hartford, CT - The Bowie Baysox used a five-run ninth inning rally to defeat the Hartford Yard Goats 10-8 Wednesday night in the first game of the second half of the Eastern League season. With the win, the Baysox clinched the three-game series in Hartford, making it five consecutive series wins for Bowie.
The Baysox offense got off to a quick start, scoring three runs in the second inning. In his first AA at-bat, Willy Yahn doubled off the wall in left field, scoring Rylan Bannon to give the Baysox the early lead. Cole Billingsley then doubled off the wall in right field, bringing in Yahn and doubling the lead. Preston Palmeiro followed with an RBI single, making it 3-0.
Bowie added to the lead in the third, when Carlos Perez hit a double down the left field line, scoring Ryan McKenna. Bowie held that lead until the bottom of the fourth, when Hartford got on the board on a two-run home run from Alan Trejo.
The Yard Goats scored three more times in the bottom of the fifth inning to take a 5-4 lead. This was Hartford's first lead of the series.
Trailing 5-4, the Baysox tied the game in the sixth. After Bannon doubled to begin the inning, Palmeiro singled him home two batters later to even the game at 5-5. Hartford took the lead back in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI triple from Vance Vizcaino.
The game remained 6-5 Yard Goats until the top of the ninth inning, when Bowie mounted its biggest late inning rally of the season. McKenna led off the inning with a single, and moved to second base on a sacrifice bunt from Perez. The next batter was Ademar Rifaela, who sent a deep fly ball to the warning track in left field that was dropped by Manuel Melendez, allowing McKenna to score and tie the game at 6-6. After a single from Bannon and a walk issued to Yahn, Billingsley reached on a fielder's choice that brought in the go-ahead run. Palmeiro then came up with his third and fourth RBI of the game on a double, extending the lead to 9-6. Jesmuel Valentin then singled Palmeiro home to make it 10-6.
Pedro Araujo allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning, but got the final three outs of the night to secure a 10-8 win for the Baysox.
The Bowie offense had a big night, pounding out 17 hits in the win. McKenna, Bannon and Palmeiro each had three hits, while Perez, Billingsley and Valentin had two-hit nights.
With the win, Bowie began the second half 1-0, after not being over .500 at any point during the first half of the season.
The Baysox will conclude their series in Hartford on Thursday night with Zac Lowther on the mound. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.