Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron
(READING, PA) - On a long night of baseball at FirstEnergy Stadium, the Reading Fightin Phils earned a 6-4 victory in game one of a doubleheader against the Akron Rubberducks, then saw game two suspended due to rain with the teams tied at one heading to the top of the eighth inning on Wednesday night.
The suspended contest will resume Thursday at 5:30 p.m. and will pick up with a runner at second in the top of the eighth due to the extra-inning rule. The regularly-scheduled contest will follow at 7:10 p.m.
In the first game of a rehab assignment, Phillies left-hander Adam Morgan hurled a perfect first inning in game one, picking up a strikeout. He needed just nine pitches (seven strikes) in his first appearance since he was placed on the Phillies Injured List with a left forearm strain on May 29.
Mauricio Llovera entered in the second, and held Akron (0-1, 34-36) off the board before the Ducks broke out for three runs in the top of the fourth.
Connor Marabell and Wilson Garcia opened the frame with singles, and Alex Call dropped down a bunt. Llovera fielded and threw wide of first, allowing Call to reach and Marabell to score on the error. Following a strikeout of Tyler Kriger, Nellie Rodriguez dropped a two-run single to left to make it 3-0 Akron.
Reading (1-0, 40-28) pulled even in the home half, taking advantage of back-to-back one-out walks. Grenny Cumana then reached on an error on the shortstop Ernie Clement, loading the bases. Cornelius Randolph brought home all three, ripping a double toward the corner in right to tie the ballgame at three.
In the middle of the fifth, the game entered a lengthy rain delay that lasted an hour and 22 minutes.
Upon resumption, Mickey Moniak greeted reliever Kyle Nelson (1-1) with a single to center. Josh Stephen then worked a walk, and Darick Hall belted a three-run bomb out to right-center to open up a 6-3 lead for Reading. The homer for Hall was his 14th of the season.
Aaron Brown permitted a run in the seventh, but hung on for his second save.
The RubberDucks grabbed the early advantage in game two. Call was hit by a pitch from Jose Taveras to start the frame, then stole second. After Call moved to third on a groundout, he crossed the plate on a Li-Jen Chu sacrifice fly.
Jose Taveras tossed three innings in the start, permitting one run on four hits.
Reading came back to tie it in the fourth. Hall got it going by striking a double off the wall in left, and Austin Listi followed with a single to left field that scored Hall to bring the teams even at one apiece.
The teams remained tied at one through the scheduled seven innings, and with the rain worsening the umpires called for the tarp at 11:53 p.m. The game entered a half hour delay before play was officially suspended at 12:24 a.m.
Play resumes at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, before the Fightins and RubberDucks meet for the final time this season at 7:10 p.m. The games will be broadcast on 610 ESPN and the Fightins radio network beginning at 5:15 p.m.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase tickets at the Seidel Auto Group Deck TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL, and download the Fightins game and promotional schedule at fightins.com/calendar.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Sweep Double Dip - Akron RubberDucks
- Sanchez, Wilson Lead Ponies to Road Sweep of Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Nelson Deals, But Thunder Drop Series Finale - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins Drop Two, Split Series with Ducks - Reading Fightin Phils
- Espinal's Two-Run Double Sparks Comeback Effort, But NH Falls Short, 4-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep Hartford Behind Three-Hitter - Bowie Baysox
- Bowie Keeps Goats at Bay for Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 65 Rumble Ponies (1-0) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (0-1) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Fall then Get Suspended - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins Win One, Game Two Suspended vs. Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fightins and RubberDucks to Resume Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Score Five in Ninth to Defeat Hartford - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Fightin Phils Stories
- Williams Back at the Helm, Bergesen Added as Fightins 2020 Field Staff Announced
- Fightins to Host IronPigs in Exhibition on April 7th
- R-Phils Seeking Interns for 2020 Season
- Dinner Under the Stars Supports Baseballtown Charities
- Thunder sweep Fightins with 12-2 win to advance to Eastern League Championship Series