RubberDucks Succumb to SeaWolves' Rally
In the top of the ninth trailing 2-1, the Erie SeaWolves got a two-out, run-scoring double by Kody Eaves followed by a RBI single by Cam Gibson to rally for a 3-2 win over the Akron RubberDucks on Friday night at Canal Park.
With Akron leading 2-1 entering the top of the ninth, RubberDucks' pitcher Dalbert Siri struck out Josh Lester, allowed a double to Daniel Pinero, got Kody Clemens to ground out, but then the back-to-back run-scoring hits by Eaves and Gibson drove in a pair of runs to give Erie the lead.
LHP Tanner Tully had one of his best starts of the year in his final start of 2019. He went a season-high seven innings (also 6/29 at HBG), allowing seven hits, one run, walking none and striking out five. Of his 84 pitches, 64 were for strikes. Tully left the game with a 2-1 lead and Henry Martinez coming on for the eighth inning. Martinez got a 6-4-3 double play to wipe out a leadoff single and then added a strikeout to complete the scoreless frame. Siri came on to try for his 11th save, but instead was charged with his fourth blown save of the year and the loss.
Akron had a hard time generating offence vs. Thompson, who went eight innings and allowed four hits, two runs, walking one and striking out 13 RubberDucks. Both Akron runs came in the fourth inning. With one out, Nolan Jones lined a double to deep centerfield. Following a strikeout, Trenton Brooks launched a two-run home run to right field to give Akron a 2-1 lead. The RubberDucks finished with five hits on the night, adding singles by Conner Smith, Andruw Monasterio and Nellie Rodriguez to Jones' and Brooks' extra-base hits.
Tully had his fifth start without a walk with Akron this year and he allowed one run or less in consecutive starts for the first time since 5/18-24...He entered the game 0-2 with a 5.73 ERA vs. Erie in two starts, but lowered that mark to 4.00 ERA with tonight's start (18.0 IP, 8 ER)...Trenton Brooks has extra-base hits in his last five games at Canal Park...He leads the EL with 29 XBH since the All-Star Break...After hitting five home runs in 2018 with Lynchburg, Brooks now has 11 in 2019 between LYN (3) and Akron (8)...The 14 strikeouts by Akron hitters matches a season-high (7/11 vs. BOW)...Erie leads the season series 13-3 and has won all four at Canal Park...Time of Game: 2:23...Attendance: 7,275.
On the Pond
The Ducks and SeaWolves play the second game of the four-game series Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park. The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. RHP Eli Morgan (6-4, 3.94) will start for Akron against Erie's LHP Joey Wentz (2-0, 2.21).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Yard Goats Denied Third Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Peterson Pitches Ponies to Series-Opening Win over Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Lawson's Strong Start Not Enough in Late Loss to Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- RubberDucks Succumb to SeaWolves' Rally - Akron RubberDucks
- Thompson Deals as SeaWolves Rally to Beat Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- Pork Roll Fizzle out against Fightins - Trenton Thunder
- Gamboa Delivers Go-Ahead in 5-3 Win at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reyes Fans Nine in a 5-4 Win over the 'Cats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Early Runs Help Senators Roll - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Shut Down by McGowin, Senators - Altoona Curve
- Spann Presented with Troubh Community Service Award - Portland Sea Dogs
- Papelbon Newest Member of UNUM Sea Dogs Hall of Fame - Portland Sea Dogs
- FirstEnergy Stadium Welcomes 15 Millionth Fan in 2019 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 30th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #137: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (29-42, 64-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-33, 72-63) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (August 30 - September 2) - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2