Pork Roll Fizzle out against Fightins
The Thunder Pork Roll saw an early two-run lead slip away in the middle innings on Friday night in an eventual 5-3 loss to the Reading Fightin Phils in front of a crowd of 5,846 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
With the Pork Roll (36-33, 74-61) leading 3-1 entering the fourth inning, Reading's Alec Bohm drew a walk from Pork Roll starter Rony Garcia. Josh Stephen and Nick Maton followed with back-to-back doubles, tying the score at 3-3.
Garcia rebounded to pitch a scoreless fifth, but with Greg Weissert (1-2) on in relief for the sixth, Stephen lined a two-out double to right-center, just out of the reach of Pork Roll right fielder Isiah Gilliam. Maton walked, and Arquimedes Gamboa lined a go-ahead, two-run triple to the wall in left-center.
Weissert and Brooks Kriske combined to retire the final 10 Fightin Phils batters of the game, including six strikeouts, but Reading relievers Garrett Cleavinger and Addison Russ shut the door for the visitors.
The Fightin Phils had opened the evening's scoring with a first-inning RBI-single by Bohm, but the Pork Roll took the lead in the bottom half on an Angel Aguilar RBI-double and a Chris Gittens RBI-single. A solo home run by Ben Ruta leading off the bottom of the third gave the Pork Roll what turned out to be their final run off starter Adonis Medina (7-7).
Medina lasted six innings, scattering four hits and retiring 12 of the final 14 Pork Roll batters he faced.
Ruta's home run was his eighth of the season, matching his career-high, and established a new career-high with his 54th RBI.
Pork Roll pitchers combined to hold rehabbing Phillies outfielder Jay Bruce hitless in four at-bats, including three strikeouts.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Saturday at 7 p.m. against the Fightin Phils. RHP Miguel Yajure (0-0, 1.69) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Julian Garcia (2-1, 6.66) will go for Reading. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Yard Goats Denied Third Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Peterson Pitches Ponies to Series-Opening Win over Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Lawson's Strong Start Not Enough in Late Loss to Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- RubberDucks Succumb to SeaWolves' Rally - Akron RubberDucks
- Thompson Deals as SeaWolves Rally to Beat Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- Pork Roll Fizzle out against Fightins - Trenton Thunder
- Gamboa Delivers Go-Ahead in 5-3 Win at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reyes Fans Nine in a 5-4 Win over the 'Cats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Early Runs Help Senators Roll - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Shut Down by McGowin, Senators - Altoona Curve
- Spann Presented with Troubh Community Service Award - Portland Sea Dogs
- Papelbon Newest Member of UNUM Sea Dogs Hall of Fame - Portland Sea Dogs
- FirstEnergy Stadium Welcomes 15 Millionth Fan in 2019 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 30th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #137: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (29-42, 64-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-33, 72-63) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (August 30 - September 2) - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition