Gamboa Delivers Go-Ahead in 5-3 Win at Trenton
(TRENTON, NJ) -Arquimedes Gamboa broke a three-all tie in the sixth with a two-out, two-run triple, lifting the Fightins Phils to a 5-3 win over the Trenton Thunder in the series opener on Friday night at Arm and Hammer Park.
Jay Bruce finished 0-4 in the first appearance of a rehab assignment, as the Phillies outfielder works his way back from a left flexor strain.
The Fightins and Thunder are wrapping the regular season with a four-game set in Trenton, before the two teams square off in the East Division Finals beginning at FirstEnergy Stadium on Wednesday.
Reading (40-29) (79-57) jumped ahead in the first, after Luke Williams opened the ballgame with a single and stole his 27th base of the season. Mickey Moniak lifted a flyout to the warning track in right-center, sending Williams down to third, and Alec Bohm knocked a base hit to right to plate the night's first run.
Trenton (36-33) (74-61) came back in the home half with a pair of runs off Adonis Medina (7-7), on an Angel Aguilar RBI double, and a Chris Gittens run-scoring single to go up 2-1.
Ben Ruta made it 3-1 in the third, lining a solo shot to right for his eighth home run of the season.
Reading brought it even in the fourth inning. After Thunder starter Rony Garcia had retired eight straight, Bohm drew a one-out walk. Josh Stephen followed by driving a double to the warning track in right field, scoring Bohm, and Nick Maton doubled to the left field corner, bringing home Stephen with the tying run.
The Fightins broke the tie in the sixth against Greg Weissert (1-2). With two down, Stephen cracked his second double of the game, and Maton took a four-pitch walk.
Gamboa delivered the go-ahead blow, splitting the gap in left-center for a two-run triple to put Reading up 5-3.
Medina went on to work six innings in the start, limiting Trenton to three runs on four hits and two walks.
Garrett Cleavinger tossed 1.2 scoreless innings in relief, and Addison Russ earned his 21st save.
Game two of the four-game set will take place on Saturday at 7 p.m., with Julian Garcia on the hill against Miguel Yajure. The game will be broadcast on 610 ESPN and the Fightins Radio Network beginning with the Fightins Pregame Show at 6:30 p.m.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase playoff tickets TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL or visit the Weidenhammer Ticket Office at FirstEnergy Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Yard Goats Denied Third Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Peterson Pitches Ponies to Series-Opening Win over Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Lawson's Strong Start Not Enough in Late Loss to Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- RubberDucks Succumb to SeaWolves' Rally - Akron RubberDucks
- Thompson Deals as SeaWolves Rally to Beat Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- Pork Roll Fizzle out against Fightins - Trenton Thunder
- Gamboa Delivers Go-Ahead in 5-3 Win at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reyes Fans Nine in a 5-4 Win over the 'Cats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Early Runs Help Senators Roll - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Shut Down by McGowin, Senators - Altoona Curve
- Spann Presented with Troubh Community Service Award - Portland Sea Dogs
- Papelbon Newest Member of UNUM Sea Dogs Hall of Fame - Portland Sea Dogs
- FirstEnergy Stadium Welcomes 15 Millionth Fan in 2019 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 30th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #137: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (29-42, 64-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-33, 72-63) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (August 30 - September 2) - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.