RubberDucks Score Three in Fifth to Secure Sweep
Three unearned fifth-inning runs by the Akron RubberDucks were enough for starter Eli Morgan to improve to 5-0 in a 3-2 win over the Hartford Yard Goats on Wednesday night at Canal Park.
With Hartford leading 1-0 entering the bottom of the fifth, Akron scored three unearned runs on three hits and two Yard Goats' errors. Alex Call and Li-Jen Chu led off the inning with singles, then Mitch Longo sacrificed them to third and second base, respectively. However, pitcher Ty Culbreth's throw was wide of third, allowing Call to score and Chu and Longo to move up a base. Three batters later, Ernie Clement hit a sacrifice fly to score Chu and the Ka'ai Tom followed with a single to right field, scoring Longo.
Akron starter Eli Morgan went six innings and allowed two runs on five hits, walking two and striking out nine. He allowed a run in the fifth inning on a single, stolen bases and a single, and then allowed a solo home run to Nevin in the sixth. Rob Kaminsky relieved him with 1.2 scoreless innings and Jared Robinson got the final out in the eighth inning and pitched around a lead-off walk in the ninth inning to earn his first save. Hartford's Culbreth allowed the three unearned runs in the fifth inning, while allowing four hits and striking out one to fall to 3-7 on the year.
The Ducks managed eight hits on the night, all singles. Chu went 3-for-4 with a run scored. For Chu, over his last five games dating to June 7, he's hitting .444 (8-for-18) with three multi-hit games (11 on the season). Clement and Tom each had RBI in the fifth inning.
The RubberDucks' three-game sweep of the Yard Goats marks the first time Akron has swept Hartford, at home or on the road, since the team relocated there from New Britain in 2016...Robinson's save was his first Double-A save. He had five at Lynchburg before his promotion to Akron...Morgan has allowed 2 ER or less in all seven Double-A starts and no more than six hits in any outing. His nine strikeouts is an Akron high and matches his May 10 debut at Reading...Tom extended his on-base streak to 23 games, longest active streak in the EL (dates to May 21) and since May 10, he has hit safely in 27 of 31 games...Time of Game: 2:20 ... Attendance: 3,073
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Portland Sea Dogs start a three-game series on Friday at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. Akron's starter is TBA and will face Portland's RHP Konner Wade (0-1, 5.52). (6-3, 3.63).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2019
- SeaWolves Drop Series Finale in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- Marvel Pitches Curve to Third Straight Series Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Return to UPMC Park on Friday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Score Three in Fifth to Secure Sweep - Akron RubberDucks
- Ducks Scuttle Goats for Series Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Drop Rubber Game to Thunder in Seven - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Earn Rain-Shortened Win over Binghamton, 4-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Flying Squirrels Announce All-Star Week Event Times, Additional Celebrity Home Run Derby Participants - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-26) vs. Trenton Thunder (35-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 13th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Senior Spotlight Series Rolls on at Canal Park with Two Midweek Senior Night Games August 4th & 6th
- Senior Spotlight Series Continues at Canal Park with Two More Senior Night Games Slated for July 30, 31
- Akron RubberDucks to Host "Swing for Your Swag" July 24
- Senior Spotlight to Feature Hudson and Stow-Munroe Falls/Kent Roosevelt at Canal Park July 25
- Walsh Jesuit, Massillon Washington Set to Face off at Canal Park July 18