Ducks Scuttle Goats for Series Sweep
AKRON - Scoring three unearned runs in the fifth inning, the Akron RubberDucks went on to a 3-2 win over the Hartford Yard Goats Thursday night at rain-and-windswept Canal Park. Akron completed a three-game series sweep and dropped Hartford (36-28) to 1 1/2 games behind first place Trenton in the division with four games to play in the first half playoff race.
After the Yard Goats took their first lead of the series in the fifth inning on a run-scoring single by Brian Serven, the RubberDucks came back with three runs in their half against starting pitcher Ty Culbreth. Following back-to-back singles, Culbreth threw away Mitch Longo's sacrifice bunt, trying to nail Alex Call at third, allowing the tying run to score. Another error loaded the bases, before a sacrifice fly by Ernie Clement and an RBI-single by Ka'ai Tom gave Akron the lead.
Hartford, which did not score a run off the Akron bullpen in the series, managed to slice the advantage to one against starter Eli Morgan, when Tyler Nevin belted a 400-foot home run off the batter's eye in dead center to open the sixth inning.
Morgan improved to 5-0, going six innings and allowing two runs on five hits. He walked two and struck out a season-high nine. Robinson retired four of the five batters he faced to nail down his first save.
Culbreth (3-7) pitched five innings and allowed three unearned runs on four hits. He did not walk anybody and struck out one.
Serven's single, double and RBI paced the Hartford offense while Li-Jen Chu had three hits for Akron.
Hartford opens a three-game series at Erie Friday at 7:05 PM. The Yard Goats will send RHP Heath Holder to the mound, while the Seawolves will counter with RHP Matt Manning. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com. Hartford returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park on Tuesday, June 18 at 7:05 PM against Bowie.
Hartford 2-5-2Akron 3-8-0
WP- Eli Morgan (5-0)
LP- Ty Culbreth (3-7)
S- Jared Robinson
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2019
- SeaWolves Drop Series Finale in Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- Marvel Pitches Curve to Third Straight Series Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Dogs Get Even with a 6-1 Win over Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Return to UPMC Park on Friday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Score Three in Fifth to Secure Sweep - Akron RubberDucks
- Ducks Scuttle Goats for Series Sweep - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Drop Rubber Game to Thunder in Seven - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Earn Rain-Shortened Win over Binghamton, 4-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Flying Squirrels Announce All-Star Week Event Times, Additional Celebrity Home Run Derby Participants - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (33-26) vs. Trenton Thunder (35-25) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 13th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Individual Game Tickets Go on Sale February 7th
- ESPN's Karl Ravech to Headline Yard Goats Hot Stove Luncheon
- Southington Native to Manage Yard Goats in 2020
- Yard Goats to Hold Dance Team Auditions Sunday at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Hold Dance Team Auditions