RubberDucks Explode for 10 Runs in Victory
Center fielder Daniel Johnson, designated hitter Wilson Garcia and catcher Li-Jen Chu each had three hits, and first baseman Nellie Rodriguez hit his second homer for the Akron RubberDucks, who routed the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 10-2, on Friday night at The Diamond in Richmond, Virginia, for their third straight victory and fifth win in six games.
The RubberDucks took a first-inning lead for a second straight night. Richmond left-hander Garrett Williams (1-3) walked leadoff batter Ka'ai Tom, and Johnson hit a one-out single to extend a 10-game hitting streak - the longest by a RubberDuck this season. Garcia then hit a ground ball off the glove of third baseman Jonah Arenado, scoring Tom from second base when the ball went into left field. Left fielder Connor Marabell extended a nine-game hitting streak with an RBI single to right field for a 2-0 Akron lead. The RubberDucks built an 8-0 lead before Richmond scored.
Akron right-hander Aaron Civale (2-0) scattered six hits over the first five scoreless innings before allowing two earned runs in the sixth. He had four strikeouts and no walks in six innings. Left-hander Ben Krauth pitched two perfect innings, and right-hander Dalbert Siri pitched a perfect ninth inning. Akron pitchers issued no walks in the game. For Richmond, Williams yielded four earned runs in 4 1/3 innings, and right-hander Chase Johnson allowed four more in 1 1/3 innings.
Akron scored in six of the nine innings. Johnson was hit by a pitch in the third and walked in the fifth, later scoring on Garcia's pair of RBI doubles. Chu added a fifth-inning RBI single and scored on third baseman Tyler Krieger's RBI single. Tom led off the sixth inning with a double and scored on Johnson's RBI single, before Garcia also added an RBI single. Rodriguez hit a solo home run off Rodolfo Martinez in the eighth inning, and Johnson hit an RBI single in the ninth.
Civale has won his first two starts of the season and became the 10th straight RubberDucks starting pitcher (twice through the rotation) to pitch at least five innings and allow two earned runs or fewer. Akron is 6-4 in that span...The club's top four active hitting streaks were all extended, by Johnson (10 games), Marabell (nine), Tom (seven), Rodriguez (six)...Time of game: 2:53...Attendance: 7,789 (largest to see a RubberDucks game this season).
On the Pond
The RubberDucks continue the series in Richmond on Saturday at 6:05 p.m. EDT. LHP Tanner Tully (3-3, 3,76) is scheduled to start for Akron against RHP Brandon Lawson (1-0, 4.32) for the Flying Squirrels. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Pork Roll Cruise to "Spiedie" Victory - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Explode for 10 Runs in Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop One-Run Affair at Bowie - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Earn 4-3 Comeback Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Jones and Davidson Power Sens to 7-5 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Haseley Homers in the Eighth for 3-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Late Homer Wins It for Reading, 3-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Cool off Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Can't Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- El Trueno de Trenton Meet Local Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 17th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Start of RubberDucks' Season Pushed to at Least June 15
- RubberDucks to Draft Fans for "Legends Begin at HomeÃ¢ÂÂ Charitable Event
- "Opening Day at Home" to Put New Spin on Ducks' April 17 Home Opener
- "At Home with the RubberDucks" Show Will Launch 640 WHLO as Team's New Radio Home
- RubberDucks Launch QuAkron Cares Program to Assist with COVID-19 Relief Efforts