Fisher Cats Cool off Yard Goats
HARTFORD - Home runs by Kevin Smith and Chad Spanberger and clutch pitching by Zach Logue lifted the New Hampshire Fisher Cats to a 4-2 win over the Hartford Yard Goats, before 6,711 Friday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park, the eighth sellout of the season. Playing as Los Chivos de Hartford, the Yard Goats three-game winning streak was snapped, evening the four-game series at a win each. Smith and Spanberger each had two RBI.
Smith's seventh-inning sacrifice fly tied the game at 2, while his fourth home run of the season, a ninth-inning blast into the left-field seats, provided insurance. Spanberger's third inning homer staked New Hampshire (19-20) to a 1-0 lead. His RBI-ground out in the seventh put the Fisher Cats ahead to stay.
Logue, a left-hander, out pitched Hartford starter Rico Garcia, who suffered his first defeat after four wins. Logue pitched 6 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on six hits. He walked two and struck out six.
After Hartford (22-19) took a 2-1 lead in the sixth on a double by Vince Fernandez, a fly out and a sac fly by Arvicent Perez, New Hampshire came back to take the lead for good in the seventh inning. A lead-off triple to dead center by Brock Lundquist and Smith's sacrifice fly tied the game. Christian Williams and Riley Adams followed with singles, before Spanberger's ground out scored Williams from third and chased Garcia.
Throwing nearly 100 MPH, reliever Jackson McClelland entered the game in the seventh, and after walking the first batter he faced to load the bases, struck out the next two hitters with his fast ball to preserve the New Hampshire advantage.
Garcia pitched 6 2/3 innings and allowed three runs on six hits. He walked two and struck out six.
Colton Welker had an RBI-double for Hartford, while Fernandez added a double and a run scored, his league-leading 29th run scored this season.
Game three of the four-game set is Saturday at 6:05 PM. RHP Ashton Goudeau will pitch for the Yard Goats, while the Fisher Cats will counter with RHP Willy Ortiz. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
New Hampshire 4-7-1Hartford 2-7-0
WP- Zach Logue (3-2)
LP- Rico Garcia (4-1)
S- Bryan Baker (2)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Pork Roll Cruise to "Spiedie" Victory - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Explode for 10 Runs in Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop One-Run Affair at Bowie - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Earn 4-3 Comeback Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Jones and Davidson Power Sens to 7-5 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Haseley Homers in the Eighth for 3-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Late Homer Wins It for Reading, 3-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Cool off Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Can't Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- El Trueno de Trenton Meet Local Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 17th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats to Host Free Winter FanFest Tomorrow at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Yard Goats to Host Hot Stove Luncheon on January 23rd
- Yard Goats to Host 2019 Winter FanFest at Dunkin'Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Win Top Community Award from Minor League Baseball