Pork Roll Cruise to "Spiedie" Victory
The Thunder Pork Roll rode supported a strong performance by the pitching staff with timely hitting in a 6-2 win over the Binghamton Spiedies on Friday night at ARM & HAMMER Park.
The victory increased the first-place Pork Roll (23-14) lead over Binghamton (21-15) in the Eastern Division standings to a game-and-a-half.
After Arismendy Alcantara led off the game with a walk and scored the evening's first run on a triple by Braxton Lee, the Pork Roll took the lead in the bottom of the first on a two-run double by Ben Ruta off Binghamton starter Chris Mazza (0-2).
Ali Sanchez briefly tied the score at 2-2 in the top of the fourth for the Spiedies with an RBI-single to center off James Reeves (3-0), but in the home half, Hoy Jun Park lined a base hit to right field that plated two and put the Pork Roll back on top, 4-2.
Park added another two-run single in the eighth inning for insurance runs, giving him four RBI in the game, which set a season-high and matched a career-high set on September 5, 2016 for Single-A Charleston.
Matt Wivinis and Brooks Kriske combined for five scoreless innings from the fifth through the ninth innings, as Pork Roll pitching retired 16 of the final 18 batters they faced, including 12 in a row from the fourth inning into the eighth.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Saturday night at 7 p.m. against the Rumble Ponies. RHP Rony Garcia (0-1, 6.90) will start for the Thunder, and the Rumble Ponies have yet to announce their starter. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Pork Roll Cruise to "Spiedie" Victory - Trenton Thunder
- RubberDucks Explode for 10 Runs in Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop One-Run Affair at Bowie - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Earn 4-3 Comeback Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Jones and Davidson Power Sens to 7-5 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Haseley Homers in the Eighth for 3-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Late Homer Wins It for Reading, 3-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Cool off Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Can't Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- El Trueno de Trenton Meet Local Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 17th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.