RubberDucks Dropped in 10
The Harrisburg Senators won a back-and-forth affair 6-5 in ten innings by adding two critical runs in the top of the tenth inning to stymy the RubberDucks power surge Wednesday night at Canal Park.
The top of the tenth inning was the difference in Wednesday's matchup as the Harrisburg Senators mounted a rally that began with a leadoff Michael A. Taylor single to left field, advancing Luis Garcia to third base. After Garcia was thrown out at the plate, a double steal from Taylor and Dante Bichette, Jr. resulted in a RubberDucks throwing error, scoring Taylor from third. An additional insurance run proved vital as Tres Barrera drove home the game-winning run on a sacrifice fly to left field, giving the Senators the 6-4 lead at the time.
Akron RubberDucks starter Eli Morgan worked through trouble in the first three innings to put together six solid innings, allowing four earned runs on seven hits. The Harrisburg Senators had their first batter reach base safely in the first six innings, including a Andrew Stevenson's first inning double which opened the scoring for Harrisburg. Then, in the third David Masters led off with a double over the head of Bradley Zimmer in in center field and scored on a Luis Garcia sac fly to tie the score 2-2, before Michael A. Taylor homered off Eli Morgan, giving the Senators the 4-2 lead. Jake Paulson was solid out of the Akron bullpen, going three innings of scoreless ball while only allowing two hits and striking out four.
The RubberDucks offense played long ball Wednesday night at Canal Park, scoring its four runs on two, two-run home runs. The first of which came from Nellie Rodriguez in the bottom of the second inning, taking a middle-in, 3-2 fastball deep to left, over the ribbon scoreboard. The very next inning, Nolan Jones would hit his second home run in as many days, this time taking Harrisburg starter Tyler Mapes deep to left field, tying the score at 4-4. Nellie Rodriguez was nearly the hero for the RubberDucks in the bottom of the ninth when he flied out to deep left field, but the Ducks would not give up easily as they pushed a run across in the bottom of the tenth on an Ernie Clement RBI double.
All six of the Rubberducks' first hits went for extra-bases, as they collected eight hits at home, where the Ducks have hit .231 on the season as compared to their .250 mark on the road ...Since his double-A Akron debut on July 11th, Nolan Jones is tied for third in the Eastern League with seven home runs, amassing a slash line of .257/.366/.486 and including 16 extra-base hits ... Eli Morgan has now allowed four or fewer runs in his past seven starts for the Akron RubberDucks, dating back to June 29th and has lowered his ERA to an impressive 3.49 mark ... Time of Game: 2:51... Attendance: 4,623
On the Pond
The RubberDucks will now take on the Richmond Flying Squirels in a four-game series, starting Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. RHP Kyle Dowdy (0-0, 2.92) will take the mound for the RubberDucks against LHP Caleb Baragar (3-5, 3.45) in the series opener.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 21, 2019
- RubberDucks Dropped in 10 - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Eclipse Akron in 10 - Harrisburg Senators
- Yard Goats Drop Road Trip Finale in Altoona - Hartford Yard Goats
- Battery Mates Power Curve over Yard Goats - Altoona Curve
- First Place 'Wolves Down Squirrels in 10 - Erie SeaWolves
- Finale at Portland Washed Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs and Fightins Canceled on Wednesday Afternoon - Portland Sea Dogs
- Schmidt, Bullpen Baffle 'Cats in Combined Shutout - Trenton Thunder
- Ponies Fall in Extras to Baysox in Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Walk off in Wild 7-6 Affair - Bowie Baysox
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- UConn Baseball Team to Host Alumni Game at Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #127: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-36, 61-65) at Bowie Baysox (39-20, 69-58) - 12:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 21st vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.