Roller Derby and Bridal Show Highlight Busy Week
Kalamazoo, MI- The Wings Stadium Complex, which is home to The Annex and The Cube, announce the complex will be hosting the Killamazoo Derby Darlins this Saturday, January 12th and the Annual Southwest Michigan Bridal Show on Sunday, January 13th.
On Saturday, the Killamazoo Derby Darlins will kick off the 2013 home season with a double header against the Mitten Kittens .
The Mitten Kittens are a group of top players from Lansing Derby Vixens, Detroit Derby Girls, Grand Raggidy Roller Girls, Ann Arbor Derby Dimes, Mitten Mavens, Chemical City, Small Town Outlaws and Illiana Derby Dames.
The Killamazoo Killacrew will begin the night at 5:30 p.m. as they battle the Mitten Kittens (precious Kitties), while the Derby Darlins will face the Mitten Kittens (black cats) in the main event immediately after.
Imagine fans cheering for high-speed action and bone-jarring hits from talented athletes. While that could describe the Kalamazoo Wings, it also describes the sport of Roller Derby and in particular the Killa Krew and the Derby Darlins.
A high-octane sport, Roller derby takes place on a circuit track. The two teams playing send five players each onto the track - three blockers (defense), one pivot (last line of defense) and one jammer (scorer).
Starting back in 1922, roller derby reached its initial peak in the late 70's and early 80's. Known for its physical nature and entertaining brand of sport, roller derby is once again gaining the eye of the American public
Tickets are $12 in advance and $16 at the door for adults, students are $11 in advance and $15 at the door, while children 6-12 are only $5 and kids under 5 are FREE. Tickets are available at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office and all Ticketmaster location.
A tradition will continue on Sunday, as the Southwest Michigan Bridal Show, presented by 106.5 WVFM, Bert's Bakery, The Knot Wedding Network, and Bellisima Bridal returns to the complex from 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Over 125 vendors will be on hand to help couples in planning their special day.
For more information about this year's bridal show and for a chance to win your wedding, visit www.swmichiganbridalshow.com.
Tickets for the bridal show are $5 in advance and $6 at the door.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2013
- Reign Announce Fire on Ice V Doubleheader to Benefit the Ontario USO - Ontario Reign
- Bulls Search for Points in Five Straight, Taking on Idaho Tonight - San Francisco Bulls
- Three More Players Added to Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Taylor Aronson Recalled to Milwaukee - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Acquire Zach Cohen from Condors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Maggio Heads for Bridgeport - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Sign Defenseman Mark Mitera - Reading Royals
- Forward A.J. Jenks Recalled to Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Live Returns on Monday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Roller Derby and Bridal Show Highlight Busy Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Sign Brandon Blandina - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho Adds Forward to Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Partner with Hoxworth Blood Center for Fifth Annual Blood Drive - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Today - January 10 - ECHL
- Aces Pull off Incredible Comeback in 4-3 Shootout Win - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-Goal Lead in Shootout Loss to Alaska - Ontario Reign
- Forney's hat trick leads Colorado, Green nets first ECHL goal - Stockton Thunder
- Balanced Attack, Forney's Hat Trick Lead Eagles Past Thunder, 8-3 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.