Reign Drop 3-Goal Lead in Shootout Loss to Alaska
ANCHORAGE, AK - The Ontario Reign (24-9-1-2), defending Pacific Division Champions and proud affiliate of the NHL's 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, fell in a heartbreaking shootout loss to the Alaska Aces (29-8-0-1) after six rounds of a shootout before a crowd of 3,487 at Sullivan Arena on Wednesday night.
With Dustin Carlson in net for the first time this season and the roster short a few key players, the Reign came to Alaska determined to play their game. Through the first 18:45 of the game the period was scoreless until C.J. Stretch ended the Aces' 12-game streak of not trailing their opposition. Stretch got on the board first by poking the puck past Aces goaltender Gerald Coleman with a helper from Brodie Sheahan.
The Reign scored two goals to take a 3-0 lead in the second period. Brady Calla scored his third of the season with a redirection off Cameron Burt's shot from the right circle. Calla slipped the puck between Coleman and the left post for the tally. Brodie Sheahan earned his second point of the night with the other assist. Kyle Kraemer recorded his tenth marker of the season as he slammed a backhanded pass from Colton Yellow Horn home. Matt Clune also assisted on the play getting the puck into the Aces zone. The Aces answered less than a minute later as Alexandre Imbeault beat Carlson's glove. Alaska would score two more times with both goals from Bobby Hughes with the equalizer coming in with 19 seconds left in the frame.
The excitement of the second period continued into the third with a total of 32 shots, 12-11 in favor of Alaska. Neither side could find the back of the net forcing an extra period of play which also remained scoreless forcing another shootout, the second in the teams' five-game home-and-away series.
Reign goals came from Stretch, Mario Lamoureux, and Kraemer to force an extra shooutout round. The Aces scored the only goal in the sixth round as Carlson stopped the shootout attempt of Jared Smith but the puck was kicked in off a crossbar deflection.
Coleman earned the win stopping 29 of 32 shots and 3 of 6 shootout attempts, Carlson took the loss in his first Reign appearance stopping 23 of 26 shots and 2 of 6 shootout attempts.
1. AK - Bobby Hughes
2. ONT - Brodie Sheahan
3. AK - Nick Mazzolini Click here to view the box score.
Reign Drops: The Reign are in Alaska facing the Aces for three straight games to finish the teams' five-game home-and-away series. After their Tuesday, Jan. 15 game in Bakersfield the team will return to Citizens Business Bank Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 16 to face the Las Vegas Wranglers. This is a State Farm 2-for-1 Wednesday so stop by your local State Farm agency to pick up your vouchers! After the game the entire team will be at Boston's to meet and mingle with fans. Don't miss your chance to take pictures and get autographs from the team and enjoy a great dinner at great prices! Click HERE to buy tickets to this game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2013
- Reign Announce Fire on Ice V Doubleheader to Benefit the Ontario USO - Ontario Reign
- Bulls Search for Points in Five Straight, Taking on Idaho Tonight - San Francisco Bulls
- Three More Players Added to Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Taylor Aronson Recalled to Milwaukee - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Acquire Zach Cohen from Condors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Announce Player Moves; Maggio Heads for Bridgeport - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Sign Defenseman Mark Mitera - Reading Royals
- Forward A.J. Jenks Recalled to Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Live Returns on Monday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Roller Derby and Bridal Show Highlight Busy Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Sign Brandon Blandina - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho Adds Forward to Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Partner with Hoxworth Blood Center for Fifth Annual Blood Drive - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Today - January 10 - ECHL
- Aces Pull off Incredible Comeback in 4-3 Shootout Win - Alaska Aces
- Reign Drop 3-Goal Lead in Shootout Loss to Alaska - Ontario Reign
- Forney's hat trick leads Colorado, Green nets first ECHL goal - Stockton Thunder
- Balanced Attack, Forney's Hat Trick Lead Eagles Past Thunder, 8-3 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.