Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory
The SeaWolves battled from behind and were powered by the long ball as they won their second straight game, taking down the Bowie Baysox, 6-5, on Tuesday night at Prince George's Stadium.
Erie jumped ahead in the fourth inning against Baysox starter Bruce Zimmerman. Derek Hill and Isaac Paredes started the inning with the first two hits of the game for the 'Wolves. Daniel Pinero grounded a ball to short and on an errant throw on a double play attempt, Hill scored for a 1-0 lead.
Jake Rogers pounded Erie to a 2-0 lead in the top of the fifth when he left of with a solo home run, his first of the season.
Erie starter Nick Ramirez started the game hurling four scoreless frames but ran out of gas in the fifth. Cael Brockmeyer walked with one out and Chris Clare singled with two outs. Ryan McKenna walked, loading the bases for Austin Wynns. Spenser Watkins entered and gave up a two-run single to Wynns and a two-run double to Rylan Bannon for a 4-2 Bowie lead.
The SeaWolves tied the game in the seventh against Bowie reliever Tanner Chleboard. Rogers walked with two outs and Jose Azocar doubled to put two in scoring position. Troy Montgomery singled home the baserunners making it a 4-4 game.
Both teams threatened in the eighth but sent the game into the ninth tied. In the top of the ninth, Will Maddox singled to put the go-ahead run on for Rogers. Rogers clubbed his second home run of the game, giving Erie a 6-4 advantage.
Bowie scored a run in the bottom of the ninth against Erie reliever Mark Ecker but he eventually induced a pop-out to end the game with the winning run on base.
Ecker (1-1) earned the win allowing a run on two hits with two walks and two strikeouts in 1.2 innings.
Chleborad (0-2) took the loss allowing four runs on six hits in 2.2 innings.
Ramirez took his second straight no-decision allowing three runs on three hits with two walks and six strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
The SeaWolves will go for a series sweep on Wednesday night at Prince George's Stadium at 6:35 p.m. Righty Matt Manning (2-0, 0.75 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Marcos Molina (0-2, 4.09 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.