Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading
Reading, Pa. - The Reading Fightin Phils (6-4) scored four unanswered runs and beat the Portland Sea Dogs (2-8), 5-2 on Tuesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. The two teams conclude their three-game series with a rubber-game on Wednesday afternoon.
Fightins lefty Bailey Falter (1-1) worked six innings on five hits, two runs (one earned), and earned the win. Boston's Top Pitching Prospect Darwinzon Hernandez (1-1) took the loss. The big lefty fanned five batters over five innings, giving up three runs (two earned), six hits, and three walks.
Reading took a 1-0 in the third inning against Hernandez. Ali Castilo (3-for-3) led off with a double and scored on a two-out single by Austin Bosart.
Portland tied the game in the third inning when Jeremy Rivera (2-for-2) smoked a homer to left field. Rivera has eight career homers in 397 games but six in Double-A.
Rivera came through again in the fifth inning, delivering a sacrifice fly to right field, putting the 'Dogs in front 2-1. Reading stormed back, receiving a two-out, RBI double from Adam Haseley (2-for-3, 2 2B).
The Fightins took the lead in their half of the fifth inning against Hernandez. Adam Haseley tied the game with a double and scored on a passed ball by Jhon Nunez.
In the seventh, Reading scored twice off Dominic LoBrutto, who made his Double-A debut. Ali Castillo nailed an RBI double and scored on a single by Grenny Cumana.
Reading's bullpen received three scoreless innings from two relievers. Luke Leftwich fanned five to earn the hold. Addison Russ worked around a second and third jam to notch his first Double-A save.
Durbin Feltman pitched a perfect eighth for the Sea Dogs and has retired the last 11 batters faced.
The Sea Dogs and Reading Fightin Phils (Phillies affiliate) wrap-up a three-game series on Wednesday afternoon with a 12:00 PM first pitch. LHP Dedgar Jimenez (0-0, 9.00) takes on RHP Mauricio Llovera (0-0, 0.00). Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 11:45 AM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets for any game at Hadlock Field can be purchased at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.