Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators
CURVE, Pa. - The Altoona Curve and Harrisburg Senators were tied heading into the eighth inning for the second straight night, but the Senators got to the Curve bullpen to edge out a 2-1 win on Tuesday night at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
After two quick, scoreless innings, the Senators jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third off Curve starter Dario Agrazal. Ian Sagdal and Tyler Goeddel reached on back-to-back singles and after moving up on a sac bunt, Sagdal scored on Luis Garcia's sac fly to center field.
Harrisburg carried that one-run lead into the fifth when Rhett Wiseman led off with a double down the left field line. Sagdal followed with a fly ball to deep center that Jared Oliva tried to run down, but the ball hit off Oliva's glove, resulting in a double for Sagdal. Wiseman held up at second base to see if the ball would be caught and only got to third base on the play, setting up second and third with no outs for the Senators. After Goeddel struck out looking and Erick Fedde tapped a weak groundout, Agrazal struck out Garcia looking to end the threat.
The Curve came back to tie the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth when Senators starter Erick Fedde (Win, 2-0) ran into trouble. Logan Hill ripped a single to center to start the inning, Hunter Owen added an infield single, and Mitchell Tolman reached on a catcher's interference to load the bases with no outs. Two batters later, Agrazal worked a one-out walk to drive in the tying run. The threat ended when Oliva grounded into a 6-4-3 inning-ending double play.
With the game tied in the sixth, Agrazal got some help from his defense to keep it that way. Adrian Sanchez, who led off the inning with a single, stole second base a few pitches later. With one out, Sanchez tried to steal third but Curve catcher Arden Pabst delivered a perfect throw from his knees to cut down Sanchez for the second out. After a Drew Ward single to extend the inning, Hill made a leaping grab over the left field wall and robbed Spencer Kieboom of a go-ahead two-run homer to end the frame.
Agrazal gave up just one run on six hits with four strikeouts and no walks in six innings. His counterpart, Fedde, allowed only one run on six hits in seven frames with three punchouts and one walk.
Jake Brentz tossed a scoreless seventh for the Curve, but things unraveled shortly after. Angel German (Loss, 0-1) came on for the eighth and on his first pitch of the night, Garcia smoked a double to right, stole third, and scored on Sanchez' sac fly to left, giving the Senators a 2-1 advantage.
James Bourque (Save, 2) kept the Curve bats quiet, retiring all six batters he faced in relief of Fedde to finish the game.
The Curve and Senators wrap up their three-game series on Wednesday morning at 10:30 a.m. LHP Cam Vieaux (0-0, 0.00) will make his third start of the season for the Curve opposed by Senators' RHP Sterling Sharp (1-1, 6.30).
Wednesday is the first Education Day of the 2019 season presented by Subway. It's also a guaranteed WINsday, presented by the Altoona Mirror. If the Curve win, fans in attendance receive a free ticket of equal or lesser value to any Wednesday home game in 2019. Fans can also cash in on Wing Wednesday with 50-cent boneless wings at the park.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.