Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win
In his first at-bat of the evening, Brandon Wagner delivered a walkoff RBI-single in the bottom of the eleventh inning Tuesday night, giving the Thunder, presented by NJM Insurance, a 7-6 win over the Akron RubberDucks at ARM & HAMMER Park.
With Francisco Diaz beginning the inning on second base as the extra-inning tiebreaker runner, Jeff Hendrix laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Diaz to third. Hoy Jun Park then lifted a routine fly ball to left field that Connor Marabell dropped, allowing Diaz to score the tying run. After Kyle Holder was intentionally walked and Ben Ruta flied out, Wagner lined a single to left field off David Speer (0-1), plating Park as the winning run.
The victory was the Thunder's fifth straight and clinched a third consecutive series win.
Akron (3-9) had rallied for four runs in the first inning and held the lead until the bottom of the eighth. With the RubberDucks leading, 5-3, Diaz hit a popup to shallow right-center with two runners on. Second baseman Alexis Pantoja was unable to make the catch, allowing both runners to score and the Thunder (8-3) to tie the game.
Adonis Rosa had held the RubberDucks down for five innings of scoreless relief, taking over for starter Trevor Stephan to begin the fourth. Rosa allowed just one hit and retired 15 of the 17 batters he faced.
Domingo Acevedo earned the win in relief despite allowing Akron to score the go-ahead run in the top of the eleventh on an RBI-single by Ka'ai Tom that put the RubberDucks back on top, 6-5.
Your Thunder conclude their homestand on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. against the RubberDucks. RHP Brody Koerner (0-0, 0.00) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Jake Paulson (1-0, 5.23) will go for Akron. The game will be the Thunder's first Education Day of the season. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Bobblehead Giveaways Set for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder Set 2020 Fireworks Schedule at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Lydia Rios Nominated for Rawlings Woman Executive of the Year Award
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed
- Thunder Beat Bowie to Win League Title