Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday
RICHMOND, Va. - The Richmond Flying Squirrels will host VCU Night on Saturday, April 20 at The Diamond when the team hosts the Altoona Curve at 6:05 p.m. The event will feature a pregame performance by The Peppas and In-Your-Face-Fireworks following the game presented by VA 811 and Sports Radio 910 The Fan. Gates are scheduled to open at 5 p.m., and tickets for the game can be purchased here.
VCU men's basketball head coach Mike Rhoades and seniors Michael Gilmore and Xavier Jackson will throw out ceremonial first pitches before the game. Gilmore and Jackson will also sign autographs for fans on the Funnville Fan Zone Main Stage from 6:30-7:30 p.m. VCU Athletics Vice President and Athletic Director Ed McLaughlin and senior team manager Tyrone Green will also be involved in the pregame ceremonies.
In his second season as the head coach of VCU men's basketball, Rhoades led the Rams to an Atlantic 10 Conference regular season conference title and an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament with a 25-8 overall record (16-2 in conference). The NCAA Tournament appearance was the eighth in nine seasons for VCU.
A fifth-year graduate transfer, Michael Gilmore appeared in 32 games for the Rams in 2018. The 6-10, 210-pound forward began his collegiate career with VCU in 2014, helping the Rams to their first Atlantic 10 Conference championship and a fifth-straight NCAA Tournament berth.
Gilmore made 18 starts in 2015, but his major contribution that season came off the bench when he tied a season-high with 12 points and added eight rebounds in 20 minutes to lead the Rams' comeback against seventh-ranked Oklahoma in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The nephew of Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Artis Gilmore, Michael Gilmore transferred to Florida Gulf Coast University in 2016 before returning to VCU in 2018 to finish his collegiate career.
After transferring to VCU from Sheridan Junior College, Xavier Jackson added depth to the Rams' guard corps by appearing in 20 games and making seven starts for the Rams as a junior in 2017.
The 6-3, 190-pound guard played in nine games during the 2018-2019 campaign, averaging a career-high 9.5 rebounds per 40 minutes.
Following the final two games of a three-game series in Hartford this week, the Flying Squirrels return to The Diamond on Thursday to begin a six-game homestand. For tickets or more information, call 804-359-3866 (FUNN), visit SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets or stop by the Flying Squirrels box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels Issue Statement on Game-Day Employee Alexander Wynn
- Flying Squirrels and Curve Postponed Friday
- Parker the Rally Pig to Make One-Night Return to the Diamond
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday
- Flying Squirrels and Baysox Postponed Monday