Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes
HARTFORD- Brandon Gold turned in a quality start for his first win and the Hartford Yard Goats, playing as Los Chivos de Hartford, beat the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 13-3, Tuesday night, before 4,915 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. Gold (1-0) permitted three runs over six innings, allowing six hits and no walks. He struck out four. Health Holder hurled the last three innings to earn his first save. He struck out five.
The Yard Goats pounded out a season-high in runs and hits with 17. Colton Welker,Tyler Nevin and Vince Fernandez each had three hits and two RBI. Alan Trejo added three hits to lift his batting average to .476. Manny Melendez had two hits and two RBI, while Willie Abreu contributed a double and home run.
Hartford (5-8) broke the game open in the second inning, scoring six runs, helped by a bases loaded error by left fielder Chris Shaw. After Richmond starter Alfred Gutierrez surrendered a bases loaded walk Melendez to tie the game 1-1, Shaw dropped a fly ball by Bret Boswell with two outs, enabling all three runners to score. Run-scoring singles by Trejo and Welker chased Gutierrez, as the Goats sent 11 batters to the plate.
After Richmond (6-4) cut the lead in half, Hartford tacked on two runs in the sixth on Welker's RBI-double and Nevin's RBI single. Abreu's first EL home run in the seventh added another run, before the Yard Goats batted around in the eighth inning and scored four runs, led by Fernandez' two-run double.
The home stand wraps up Wednesday at 10:35 AM. Hartford will look to win the three-game series, sending southpaw Ty Culbreth to the mound, while Richmond will counter with RHP Logan Webb. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Richmond 3- 7-2Hartford 13-17-0
WP- Brandon Gold (1-0)
LP- Alfred Gutierrez (0-1)
S- Heath Holder (1)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Thunder Walk off for Fifth Straight Win - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins even series against Red Sox top pitching prospect Darwinzon Hernandez - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Drop Second Straight to SeaWolves, 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Gold Money in the Bank as Hartford Offense Explodes - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rivera Knocks in Both Runs But Portland Falls 5-2 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Go Wire-To-Wire to Top Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rogers Powers SeaWolves to Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight in One-Run Loss to Senators - Altoona Curve
- Fedde & Burke Keep Sens Rolling with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 15th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels to Host Annual VCU Night on Saturday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #8 - Rumble Ponies (4-2) vs. Fisher Cats (4-7) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Late Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.