Rockets Assign Patrick Beverley to Vipers
MCALLEN, Texas -- Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has signed guard Patrick Beverley to a multi-year deal. Beverley will be assigned to Houston's single-affiliation NBA D-League partner the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. To make room on the roster, the Rockets have waived guard Scott Machado.
Beverley (6-1, 185, Arkansas) comes to the Rockets from Spartak St. Petersburg in Russia, where he earned Eurocup MVP for the 2011-12 season and 2012 All-Eurocup First-Team honors. He originally played two seasons at Arkansas before leaving school to sign a professional contract with BC Dnipro of the Ukrainian UBL for the 2008-09 season. Beverley was then drafted by the L.A. Lakers in the second round (42nd overall) of the 2009 NBA Draft and later traded to the Miami Heat. He decided to stay in Europe and signed with Olympiakos in Greece on Aug. 26, 2009. He again joined the Heat for the 2010 NBA Summer League and was signed by Miami on Aug. 2, 2010. Beverley was waived by the Heat at the end of training camp on Oct. 25, 2010.
As a collegian, Beverley was named SEC Freshman of the Year and earned Second-Team All-SEC honors in 2006-07. A 2008 Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy candidate, he started 33 of 35 games as a sophomore, ranking first on Razorbacks in rebounding (6.6 rpg), steals (1.3 spg) and 3-point percentage (.378). Beverley was also second on the team in points (12.1 ppg) and third in assists (2.4 apg) in 2007-08.
Beverley is expected to join the Vipers today and be available when the team takes on the Fort Wayne Mad Ants at noon CT on Wednesday, Jan. 9 in a 2013 NBA D-League Showcase game in Reno, Nev.The game will be nationally televised on NBA TV.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 7, 2013
- Charge Injury Update - Canton Charge
- Jam Fly Past Skyforce - Bakersfield Jam
- Bakersfield Too Much for Sioux Falls at 2013 NBA D-League Showcase - G League
- Rockets Assign Patrick Beverley to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Houston Rockets Assign Patrick Beverly to NBA D-League Affiliate Rio Grande Valley Vipers - G League
- Legends Use Breakout Fourth Quarter to Hold off Stampede - G League
- Tulsa's Rautins And Sutton To Compete In 3-Point, Slam Dunk Contests - Tulsa 66ers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Shawn Taggart from Springfield - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Springfield Acquires Paul Carter - Springfield Armor
- Free Tickets, Hot Dogs and Prizes for Tuesday Night's NBA D-League Showcase Game - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Rattle off Victory to Open up 2013 NBA D-League Showcase - G League
- Travis Leslie Named NBA D-League Player of the Month - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Santa Cruz' Travis Leslie Named NBA Development League - G League
- 2013 NBA D-League Showcase Tips off Today - Reno Bighorns
- Sioux Falls' Donald Sloan Signs with New Orleans Hornets - G League
- Energy Announce Record December Attendance - Iowa Wolves
- Cavaliers Recall Leuer - Canton Charge
- 2013 NBA D-League Showcase Tips off Today - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.