Rocket Unable to Solve Phantoms' Lyon, Shutout 2-0
ALLENTOWN - A week after blanking the Phantoms on home ice, the Rocket were given a taste of their own medicine as they were shutout 2-0 by Lehigh Valley at the PPL Center Saturday night. Despite firing 37 shots, the visitors were unable to solve first star goaltender Alex Lyon. The Rocket were handed their first loss since December 27.
In a game that featured few quality scoring chances and remained scoreless for almost 35 minutes, the Phantoms were opportunistic, scoring two goals off the sticks of Kyle Criscuolo and Tyler Wotherspoon. The former tipped in a shot from the blue line through traffic with less than five minutes left in the second period, while the latter beat a screened Keith Kinkaid with a laser from the point near the start of the final frame.
The Rocket will conclude their three-game road trip against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Sunday afternoon.
LV: Criscuolo (de Haas, Bunnaman) | Wotherspoon (Prosser, Vorobyev)
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 0/5| IN/PK: 3/3
LV | AN/PP: 0/3 | IN/PK: 5/5
LAV: Kinkaid (19/21) | LV: Lyon (37/37)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
Lyon - LV 2. Criscuolo - LV 3. Wotherspoon - LV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: January 13 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Edged 2-1 by Heat Despite Late Push - San Jose Barracuda
- Czarnik, Zagidulin Guide Heat to Weekend Sweep of San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Rampage Close Weekend with Loss to Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Try to Rally Past Sound Tigers, Fall 6-4 - Laval Rocket
- Koivula's first hat trick vaults Bridgeport to a season-high six goals in win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Goalies Post Back-To-Back Shutouts - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Defeat Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Binghamton Rallies for 6-5 Win over Syracuse - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Felled by Phantoms Late, 2-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Topped by Devils, 6-5, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Climb Back in Providence vs. Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rangers Recall Phillip Di Giuseppe from Hartford, Assign Steven Fogarty - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Alexander Yelesin - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Recall Luukkonen from Cyclones - Rochester Americans
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault on Emergency Conditions - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pickard Recalled - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flyers Loan Kase to Lehigh Valley and Recall Bunnaman - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Boat Show Road Trip Rolls Through San Antonio - Toronto Marlies
- Stockton, San Jose Face off Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Recall David Drake from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rocket Unable to Solve Phantoms' Lyon, Shutout 2-0 - Laval Rocket
- Roadrunners Win Parks, First American Hockey League Start - Tucson Roadrunners
- Frk's Tally Not Enough for Reign - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Defeated by Bakersfield 5-2 - Iowa Wild
- Gulls Breeze by Ontario, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Rally Past Iowa, 5-2, to Start Homestand - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.