Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC announced today they have reached an agreement with Maccabi Haifa FC of the Israeli Premier League for the transfer of Josh Cohen. The player will link up with Maccabi Haifa FC ahead of the first leg of their UEFA Europa League Second Round Qualifier next week against Ligue 1 side RC Strasbourg Alsace and ahead of their 2019-20 season.
"This move is bittersweet for the club and our fans because Josh has been absolutely outstanding for us," said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "That his talents were noticed by a top club halfway across the world is a testament to his abilities and the level of play at Republic FC. This is a tremendous opportunity for Josh and we were happy to work with Maccabi Haifa FC to reach an agreement that benefited both parties."
"I am extremely grateful to the club, the fans and the city of Sacramento for all their support over the past two seasons," said Cohen. "The supporters here in Sacramento create a spectacular environment for the team, and the coaches, club staff and my teammates here have all played pivotal roles in my growth as a player. They are a large reason why such an amazing opportunity has presented itself; an opportunity which I could not allow myself to pass up. I am excited to see what the future holds for me as I continue my journey to become a better and more experienced goalkeeper. I will always cherish my time here and be a supporter of this special club, whether I am 7,000 miles away or back here in Sac."
Cohen departs after spending the last season and a half with Republic FC. The California native joined Republic FC ahead of the 2018 season and started every league match for the club that year. His 12 shutouts helped Republic FC finish the season with the best defensive record in the Western Conference and third-best defensive record in the league.
Based in the Isreali city of Haifa, Maccabi Haifa FC is one of the "Big Four" in the Israeli Premier League having won twelve league titles and ten domestic cups in its history. The club has also previously competed in both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Current Republic FC defender Dekel Keinan played for Maccabi Haifa FC at various stages throughout his professional career.
Republic FC continue their league campaign this Saturday, July 20, as the team travels to Texas to take on Rio Grande Valley Toros FC. Kickoff is at 5:30 p.m. PT and the match will be broadcast live on KQCA My58, Estrella TV and ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 19, 2019
- Republic FC Sign 16-Year-Old Goalkeeper Diego Ramos to USL Academy Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Helps Grant Local Child's Soccer Make-A-Wish - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Faces El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday in Texas - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, July 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Soccer at SandBar Brings New and Longtime Soccer Fans Together - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Toros Home Stand Closes out with Match against Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Concludes Two-Game Road Trip with Tilt in Orange County - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts New York Red Bulls II Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Set for Road Test against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvSTL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Segra Field on Saturday, August 3 - Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC v Swope Park Rangers - Ottawa Fury FC
- OKC Heads to Colorado Springs to Take on Rival Switchbacks FC - OKC Energy FC
- Tejada Scores in International Debut - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Preview | Year-Long Home Unbeaten Streak on the Line vs. Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense
- Republic FC to Celebrate Giving Season with Winter Wishlist Benefiting Students & Families in Need
- Around the Leagues: Jam Packed Weekend Full of Football