Match Preview: Legion FC V. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, July 20
Birmingham Legion FC vs. Atlanta United 2
Saturday, July 20 - 7:00PM CT Kickoff - BBVA Field, Birmingham, AL
Watch - My 68, ESPN+
Legion FC looks to carry momentum from a big win last weekend into Saturday's contest against Atlanta United 2. ATL is the only USL Championship Eastern Conference foe Legion FC has yet to play this inaugural season.
When asked about this week's opponent, Head Coach Tom Soehn said, "Atlanta has an influx of people coming in and out, so their look changes quite drastically week by week. Most importantly, we have to continue to build upon what we just did [against NCFC]. We're training for that, cleaning a few things up, and look to keep improving week to week."
Atlanta United 2 currently sit in 17th place in the Eastern Conference standings, having lost five straight and have not won a match since April 13. Like Soehn mentioned, turnover abounds as an MLS affiliate, as 36 different players have taken the field for ATL 2 this season.
United struggles to get forward into the attack, evidenced by its lack of goals, as the club sits tied with Legion FC on just 15 goals this season. Goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira leads the team from the back with 47 saves this season, good for eighth in the league, and forward Luiz Fernando leads the attack as the only player to appear in all 17 games for ATL. The Atlanta attack will continue to miss goal scorer Romario Williams, who leads the team with three this season, but recently was signed by MLS side Columbus Crew.
After rupturing his PCL last weekend, #9 Chandler Hoffman joins #17 Gael Mabiala as the only players out due to injury, per the VIVAHealth injury report. Legion FC also announced this week the signing of midfielder Anderson Asiedu to help give the squad a boost in the middle of the pitch but will have to deal with the loss of defender Marcel Appiah as he agreed to terminate his contract and return to Germany.
Follow @bhmlegion on Twitter for more info and live game updates, and watch live locally on My68 or on ESPN+.
The third home game in July takes place at BBVA Field next Saturday, July 27 against the Charlotte Independence. Tickets are available at bhmlegion.com/tickets or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 19, 2019
- Republic FC Sign 16-Year-Old Goalkeeper Diego Ramos to USL Academy Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Helps Grant Local Child's Soccer Make-A-Wish - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Faces El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday in Texas - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, July 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Soccer at SandBar Brings New and Longtime Soccer Fans Together - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Toros Home Stand Closes out with Match against Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Concludes Two-Game Road Trip with Tilt in Orange County - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts New York Red Bulls II Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Set for Road Test against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvSTL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Segra Field on Saturday, August 3 - Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC v Swope Park Rangers - Ottawa Fury FC
- OKC Heads to Colorado Springs to Take on Rival Switchbacks FC - OKC Energy FC
- Tejada Scores in International Debut - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Preview | Year-Long Home Unbeaten Streak on the Line vs. Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Bruno Lapa Signs New Multi-Year Deal with Legion FC
- Two Legion FC Players Named to 2020 USL Championship All-League Teams
- Bruno Lapa Wins Fan's Choice Award, Team MVP
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southeast Division Members
- Alex Crognale Named Legion FC Defensive Player of the Year