San Antonio FC Concludes Two-Game Road Trip with Tilt in Orange County
IRVINE - San Antonio FC (6-8-5) will travel to take on Orange County SC (5-7-7) at Championship Soccer Stadium on Saturday, July 20 at 9 p.m. SAFC will look to continue to build momentum after earning their first road win of the season last Wednesday against El Paso Locomotive FC.
"It's very important that our guys recover quickly and do our recovery strategies to the best of their abilities," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell following Wednesday's win. "We'll be ready come Saturday night to deliver a good performance."
SAFC are currently on a two-game winning streak after defeating Texas rivals Austin Bold FC and El Paso in their last two matches. The Alamo City club is unbeaten in its last three matches as it looks to extend that streak in Orange County this weekend. SAFC got a dream debut from newly acquired Frank Lopez who scored a brace in his first match this past Wednesday. Lopez - who joined on loan from LA Galaxy II on Monday - became the first SAFC player to score two goals in their debut since Jason Johnson turned the trick in San Antonio's inaugural match on April 3, 2016 at Seattle.
"I'm very happy," Lopez said after the match. "It's a dream start for any player to arrive at a club and score, even if it's just one. But more than anything I'm happy to have earned the three points, because that's what matters."
Orange County SC are 1-4-0 in their last five matches and currently sit in 14th place in the Western Conference standings, one point behind San Antonio. However, OCSC continue to be a tough team to beat at home, recording a 4-3-2 record at Championship Soccer Stadium so far this season. SAFC will need to be prepared to defend against two strong attackers in Darwin Jones and Michael Seaton who are tied with six goals apiece for the OCSC lead this year. Creative midfielder Jerry van Wolfgang currently leads the team with 34 chances created, making him another one to watch tomorrow night.
The last time OCSC and SAFC met, the two teams played to a 0-0 draw at Toyota Field on May 11. SAFC will be looking for their first win against Orange County since 2017, and their first in Orange County since a 1-0 victory earned San Antonio a playoff spot in September of 2017. SAFC have had five different goalscorers against OCSC in team history but have failed to score in their last three outings against the California side.
Following their match in California, San Antonio FC will return home on July 27 to face Real Monarchs SLC at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m. for Breast Health Awareness night.
USL Championship Game 20 - San Antonio FC at Orange County SC
Date: Saturday, July 20, 2019
Kickoff: 9 p.m. CT
Stadium: Championship Soccer Stadium
San Antonio FC: 6-8-5 (11th, 23 pts)
Orange County SC: 5-7-7, (14th, 22 pts)
All-time Series: The game marks the eighth matchup all-time between San Antonio FC and Orange County. SAFC has compiled a 2-3-2 record against OCSC, including a 0-0 draw the last time out in May at Toyota Field
USL Match Center
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 19, 2019
- Republic FC Sign 16-Year-Old Goalkeeper Diego Ramos to USL Academy Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Helps Grant Local Child's Soccer Make-A-Wish - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Faces El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday in Texas - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, July 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Soccer at SandBar Brings New and Longtime Soccer Fans Together - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Toros Home Stand Closes out with Match against Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Concludes Two-Game Road Trip with Tilt in Orange County - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts New York Red Bulls II Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Set for Road Test against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvSTL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Segra Field on Saturday, August 3 - Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC v Swope Park Rangers - Ottawa Fury FC
- OKC Heads to Colorado Springs to Take on Rival Switchbacks FC - OKC Energy FC
- Tejada Scores in International Debut - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Preview | Year-Long Home Unbeaten Streak on the Line vs. Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC