Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors
Las Vegas (NV) - "Are you registered as an organ donor?" could be the first question Lights fans hear when they attend the July 27 game at Cashman Field where players will wear a first of its kind jersey featuring neon-colored vital organs. In an effort to encourage all fans to register, this might be the first-ever sporting event where EVERY spectator is a registered organ donor. "Wait, I can't get in if I'm not a registered organ donor?"
**Don't worry Lights fans, EVERYONE is welcome on July 27 for the 7:30 p.m. kickoff against RGV FC Toros on Donate Life Night. But a groundbreaking partnership with Nevada Donor Network is bringing the community-wide need for promoting organ donation to the forefront. Fans will not be turned away if they are not a registered organ donor, but all fans entering Cashman Field will be encouraged to become a donor. It's our hope that with similar efforts by organizations in our community, that someday, the press release title can become a reality.
"Lights FC is incredibly proud to host Donate Life Night. There are 618 Nevadans that are currently awaiting an organ transplant -- and we hope to help reduce that number by encouraging Lights FC fans to sign-up at RegisterMe.org to save a life," said Lights FC Owner Brett Lashbrook. "We are known for our unique jersey designs -- and our 'Donate Life' jersey is our most unique yet. I'm excited to use our platform as a pro sports team to bring greater awareness to this cause by having our players wearing something that will no doubt spark conversations about the important role of organ donation in our society."
As incentives for Lights fans to register throughout the match at RegisterMe.org, they'll be eligible to win a multitude of prizes, including free jerseys and 50% off official merchandise, along with several more surprises for registered organ donors attending the match. In addition, Nevada Donor Network officials and volunteers will be present in the Zappos Fan Tailgate to help fans register, give away prizes and raffle off spots in the Shirts Off the Back promotion following the Donate Life Night match against Rio Grande Valley. The kit worn by forward Santiago Echavarría is the one Lights FC players will use during their next home match against RGV FC Toros on Saturday, July 27 at Cashman Field.
Lights FC will return to Cashman Field for their first home match in three weeks with the most eye-catching jersey ever in USL Championship soccer. The jersey was designed in collaboration with Nevada Donor Network to call attention to the fact that more than 600 Nevadans are waiting for a donor every day. One heroic donor can save up to eight lives through organ donation, and heal up to 75 through tissue and cornea donation.
"On average, 22 patients die every hour in the United States waiting for an organ transplant because the demand for lifesaving transplants far exceeds the available supply of organs," said Nevada Donor Network CEO Joe Ferreira. "We are honored to join Lights FC and we support this event 100%."
As part of the week-long festivities, coach Eric Wynalda is teaming up to spread the donation message with Nevada Donor Network CEO Joe Ferreira to tell fans how easy it is to register (including via iPhone health app, DMV or RegisterMe.org). Additionally, Simon Keith will address and inspire Lights FC players with a visit at Cashman Field on Monday afternoon. Keith was the first soccer player in the world to play professional soccer after receiving a heart transplant.
On the day of the game, thousands of Nevada Donor Network donor recipients, donor families, volunteers, family, and friends will be in attendance. Members of the donor community will be a part of the pre-game ceremonies including the Pink Scarf (presented by SIlverSummit Healthplan), escort Lights FC's Starting XI on the field prior to the game, as well as receive the "Shirts Off the Back" of Lights FC players after the game (presented by Boston Dental Group).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 19, 2019
- Republic FC Sign 16-Year-Old Goalkeeper Diego Ramos to USL Academy Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Helps Grant Local Child's Soccer Make-A-Wish - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Faces El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday in Texas - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, July 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Soccer at SandBar Brings New and Longtime Soccer Fans Together - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Toros Home Stand Closes out with Match against Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Concludes Two-Game Road Trip with Tilt in Orange County - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts New York Red Bulls II Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Set for Road Test against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvSTL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Announce the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Segra Field on Saturday, August 3 - Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC v Swope Park Rangers - Ottawa Fury FC
- OKC Heads to Colorado Springs to Take on Rival Switchbacks FC - OKC Energy FC
- Tejada Scores in International Debut - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Preview | Year-Long Home Unbeaten Streak on the Line vs. Loudoun United FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win