Relentless Attack Helps AirHogs Set New Franchise Record
LAREDO, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs had at least one baserunner in every inning, rookie Will Irvin impressed through five innings in his pro debut and the bullpen threw four shutout frames after him, as Grand Prairie set a new franchise record with their 11th straight win, beating the Laredo Lemurs 8-2 at Uni-Trade Stadium in the opener of their four-game series.
After stranding three runners in the first two innings, Keanon Simon came around to score from second on Brian Myrow's one-out single in the third to give the AirHogs (35-13) the lead. But they left two more on in that frame, and Laredo (20-26) evened the score with a pair of doubles by Anthony Scelfo and Jimmy Mojica.
Grand Prairie came right back against lefty Ryan Sasaki (0-1), who was making his Lemurs debut. With one out, David Thomas singled and stole second, before Yasutsugu Nishimoto singled him in to put the AirHogs on top again. After an infield hit by Keanon Simon, Sasaki threw a wild pitch to put both runners in scoring position, then threw wildly to first on Bryan Frichter's comebacker to allow both runners to score.
The AirHogs left Frichter at third that inning, then stranded two in the fifth, one in the sixth, two in the seventh before finally adding some insurance runs on Myrow's two-run single, a Robert Romero wild pitch and a Lockwood double in the eighth.
But as Irvin (1-0) worked five innings of two-run ball, getting to first base to cover with two on and two out in the fifth on Stephen Douglas's grounder to second to end his night, picking up five strikeouts while allowing four hits and no walks.
Derrick Miramontes got a double play to erase a leadoff single in the sixth and had a 1-2-3 seventh, Griffin Bailey worked around a one-out single in the eight and lefty Cody White marked his return to the AirHogs with a perfect ninth inning to finish off yet another win.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 7, 2012
- Relentless Attack Helps AirHogs Set New Franchise Record - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Beaten by Airhogs - Laredo Lemurs
- Relentless Attack Helps AirHogs Set New Franchise Win Streak - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Jackson's Two Homers Lift RedHawks Past T-Bones 6-2 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Can't Steal a Victory, Lose 8-4 to Explorers in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Laber's Strong Start Pushes RedHawks Past T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Win 5-4 in Wild 11 Inning Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats Take Opener in 11 on Infield Single - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Avila's Late Homer Lifts Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Streak Stopped at Five, Goldeyes Retain Sole Possession of First - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Runs Scarce in Pheasants' Loss to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Acquire Pair of Outfielders from Laredo; Sign Miranda - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Campbell Returns to RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 'Hogs Come Back in Middle Inning - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Hogs come back in middle innings, complete another home sweep - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Results - AA
- Diablos Complete First Sweep Of Season With 3-2 Win Over Laredo - El Paso Diablos
- Lemurs Let Close One Slip Away - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints Get a Complete Game from Robert Coe, Win 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Coe Twirls Complete Game Masterpiece for Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary defeats the Explorers 13-3 - Sioux City Explorers
- Goldeyes Swept for the First Time this Season - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pheasants Falter in Kansas City Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Anderson Goes Eight as T-Bones Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Sweep Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs