RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (22-17-4-2), proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, saw their 10-game unbeaten streak at Webster Bank Arena come to an end on Friday in a 1-0 loss to the Springfield Thunderbirds (22-24-1-1), despite allowing just 13 shots - a new franchise record.
Springfield's Evan Cowley made 25 saves for his first AHL shutout and Ludwig Bystrom scored the game's only tally in the first period.
Bystrom's third goal of the season for the Thunderbirds also came on the power play midway through the opening frame. Following a roughing penalty to Dryden Hunt, but a double-minor for roughing against Mike Cornell on the same play, Jayce Hawryluk skated to the left circle and sent a cross-ice pass to Bystrom, who launched a one-time blast straight over Gibson's glove from the right side at 11:46.
Bridgeport outshot Springfield 18-8 in the final 40 minutes, but couldn't break through against the visitors. The loss also snapped the Sound Tigers' five-game win streak on home ice and finished the trend of the home team winning each of the first seven meetings. The Sound Tigers dropped to 3-5-0-0 against the T-Birds this season.
Bridgeport outshot Springfield 25-13 overall and finished the game 0-for-4 on the power play, while going 2-for-3 on the penalty kill. Gibson (16-9-2) stopped 12 shots in the setback.
About the Bridgeport Sound Tigers: Founded in 2001, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Hockey Club is the top minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement
- Bridgeport extends point streak at home to eight games in overtime loss to Toronto on Wednesday