CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1
UTICA, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch fell to the Utica Comets, 3-1, tonight at the Adirondack Bank Center in the first half of the home-and-home weekend series.
Dennis Yan scored the lone Crunch goal as the team moves to 26-16-2-2 on the season. The loss also drops Syracuse to 3-4-0-0 in the 12-game season series against Utica.
Goaltender Connor Ingram turned aside 34-of-36 shots in net for the Crunch. Richard Bachman recorded the win with 27 saves for the Comets. Syracuse went 0-for-3 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill.
After a scoreless first period, the Comets were first to strike less than two minutes into the second stanza with a fluky goal. Ingram tried to poke the puck away just as Alexis D'Aoust got a stick on it. The puck flew up over the goaltender and landed in the net. Guillaume Brisebois and Jaime Sifers recorded the assists.
At the 6:17 mark, Utica doubled their lead on the power play. Nikolay Goldobin cut down the left wing before circling back to the top of the circle and sniping a shot through traffic. Reid Boucher and Philip Holm earned points on the play.
The Crunch finally got on the board with 47 seconds remaining in the second period. Mitchell Stephens won the faceoff in the right circle and kicked the puck towards the slot. Yan picked up the loose puck and potted a wrister as he cut across the zone.
With 36 seconds remaining in the game, Dylan Blujus cleared the puck down the ice and into an empty net with the help of Darren Archibald to secure a Comets victory.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Devante Stephens to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin