PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were buoyed by the play of defenseman Andrey Pedan as they turned away the Hershey Bears with a 4-1 victory at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza on Friday night.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (27-12-3-1) saw Pedan score twice, including the game-winner, as the team extended its winning streak on home ice to seven games.
Pedan wasted little time firing up the crowd and his teammates, dropping the gloves to fight Hershey's Zach Sill just five seconds into the game. The early donnybrook didn't yield immediate results for the Penguins though, as it was the Bears striking first, 6:22 into the first period. A pass by Tyler Graovac intended for Riley Barber was broken up by Penguins forward Gage Quinney, but redirected off of Barber and floated into Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's net.
Two minutes before the first intermission, the Penguins tied it up while on the power play. A rocket shot from Pedan rifled to the top corner and through a screen that Pheonix Copley couldn't stop.
Both teams registered nine shots on goal during the second period, but both Tristan Jarry and Copley were up to the task, keeping the score even at 1-1.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton got their first lead of the game 5:34 into the third period when Pedan tallied for the second time on the night off a perfectly timed drop pass from Greg McKegg. Pedan's fellow defenseman, Kevin Czuczman, added an insurance goal for the Penguins at 11:40 of the third period.
Hershey pulled Copley for an extra attacker and Jarrett Burton took advantage after accepting a pass from Daniel Sprong right in the slot and put the game on ice with 2:16 left in regulation.
Jarry denied 25 Hershey shots, while Copley successfully fended off 22 of the 25 bids that Wilkes-Barre/Scranton threw his way.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Islanders
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Saturday's Penguins Game Postponed
- Tommy Nappier Recalled by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
- AHL Announces Postponements, Schedule Changes
- Almeida and Reilly Reassigned to Penguins from Wheeling
- Penguins Weekly