P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack in overtime Friday night 2-1 in the first game of their home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got both of their goals from Austin Czarnik while Zane McIntyre made his 27th start of the season in net.
The Providence offense was as dominant as could be without scoring a goal, applying pressure and getting multiple quality chances. At one point in the opening period, they held a 14-2 shot advantage and finished the period doubling the Wolf Pack's shot total. Their best chance 14 minutes in when Emil Johansson rang the iron with a slap-shot, but after 20 minutes it remained a scoreless game.
The P-Bruins continued to lead in the shot department, but Hartford was the team that cracked the scoreboard first at 8:19. Adam Tambellini skated the puck up to the left dot and sent a centering feed towards net. Ryan Sproul came flying in up the right side and tapped home the pass backdoor for his seventh goal of the season. Providence, who held a 31-15 shot advantage after two periods, finally broke through against Wolf Pack goaltender Alexandar Georgiev with 2:30 left in the second. While on the power play, Czarnik created traffic in front by firing three consecutive shots on Georgiev. His persistence paid off, as the third shot hit the back of the net for his 12th goal of the season as Providence entered the break knotted 1-1.
After a scoreless third period, Czarnik ended the game in style with just 25 seconds left in overtime. While on a 4-on-3 power play, Jordan Szwarz camped out with the puck in the right slot and sent a centering pass across the crease. All Czarnik needed to do was tap it in at the doorstep for his 13th goal of the season and second of the night, giving Providence a hard fought 2-1 victory.
McIntyre stopped 20 of 21 shots while Georgiev stopped 48 of 50. Providence was 2-6 on the power play and 0-2 on the penalty kill.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Sign Martin Ouellette to AHL Contract
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Defeat Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-3
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Fall to Charlotte Checkers, 4-1