LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY
Charlotte opens three-in-three weekend with 3-2 loss.
A busy weekend for the Checkers got off to a tough start as the Lehigh Valley Phantoms claimed a 3-2 victory with a late goal on Friday.
After Warren Foegele had scored his 21st goal of the season, tops among AHL rookies, to tie the game in the third period, the Phantoms broke the deadlock when Cole Bardreau tipped home a shot from the point with exactly three minutes remaining in regulation.
Charlotte also got a goal from its other All Star, Valentin Zykov, in a game that saw them out-shoot the Phantoms 40-26. Former Checker John Muse, the reigning ECHL Goaltender of the Month who the Phantoms called up from that league earlier in the day, made 38 saves to get the win over Charlotte's Alex Nedeljkovic (23 saves).
Charlotte, which opened the scoring through Zykov's league-leading 23rd goal and 13th power-play goal of the season in the first period before allowing the Phantoms to score twice in the second, fell to 13-2-1 when scoring the game's first goal.
Notes: The Phantoms lead the season series 3-2-0. They are on a five-game point streak (4-0-1) and have won six of their last eight ... Three of John Muse's four AHL games this season were against the Checkers. Muse, who played for Charlotte from 2011-16, is the team's all-time leader in games played (125) and wins (63) by a goaltender ... Phantoms forward Phil Varone, who entered the game tied for the AHL scoring lead, missed the game due to illness ... Forward Sergey Tolchinsky missed the game due to injury ... Forwards Mike Ferrantino, Spencer Smallman and Zack Stortini and defenseman Dennis Robertson were healthy extras.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
- Checkers Clamp Down Cleveland in 2-1 Win