MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, were defeated by the Grand Rapids Griffins at The Q on Friday by a final score of 4-2. With the loss, the Monsters fell to 14-23-4-3 overall this season and with a .398 points percentage, remain alone in seventh place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Cleveland's Brady Austin staked the Monsters to a 1-0 lead on Friday with an even-strength finish at 1:05 of the opening period on feeds from Terry Broadhurst and Zac Dalpe before a Matt Puempel power-play goal leveled things at one apiece for the Griffins at 17:01 of the frame. In the middle stanza, Grand Rapids claimed their first advantage at 14:49 when Corey Elkins tallied a five-on-five goal to make it 2-1 Griffins through 40 minutes of play.
The final frame saw Cleveland's Alex Broadhurst net an even-strength goal at 8:05 thanks to assists from Terry Broadhurst and Garret Cockerill to level the score at two before Grand Rapids rallied for a five-on-five Filip Hronek tally at 15:47, and an empty-net Matt Lorito strike at 19:37, to skate away with a 4-2 victory in the second of three straight games between the Monsters and Griffins.
Cleveland's Jeff Zatkoff fell to 1-1-1 in net this season despite stopping 27 of the 30 pucks he faced, while Griffins net-minder Tom McCollum improved to 7-8-3 between the pipes this year by virtue of a 26-save performance.
The Cleveland Monsters are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League playing at Quicken Loans Arena and the Canton Charge of the NBA G League playing in nearby Canton, Ohio at the Canton Civic Center.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters Battle the Grand Rapids Griffins
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Wolves Roundup - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: February 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Leslie Comes to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Trade Defenseman Zac Leslie to Vegas - Ontario Reign
- Week 18 Report: Hogs Stretch Home Streak to 5 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Jets Recall Lemieux & Petan from the Moose; - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Recall McCarron and Tansey from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- G Alex Lyon Returned to Lehigh Valley, G John Muse Returned to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Muse (38 Saves) Backstops Phantoms 3-2 Triumph at PPL Center - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Marek Hrivik, Reassign Andrew Mangiapane to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto's Andreas Johnsson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Eight Former Griffins to Participate in 2018 Winter Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2, HARTFORD WOLF PACK 1 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PEDAN PROPELS PENGUINS PAST BEARS, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 1, SOUND TIGERS 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-BRUINS PREVAIL 2-1 IN OVERTIME BEHIND CZARNIK'S TWO GOALS - Providence Bruins
- MONSTERS FIGHT TO THE FINISH IN 4-2 LOSS TO GRIFFINS - Cleveland Monsters
- BACHMAN'S BIG NIGHT CARRIES COMETS TO WIN OVER CRUNCH - Utica Comets
- LATE GOAL DEFEATS CHECKERS IN LEHIGH VALLEY - Charlotte Checkers
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Return from Break for Clash with Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Hill from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Reading Takes Flight Visits - Manitoba Moose
- F Tyrell Goulbourne Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Comets Sign Goaltender Mitch Gillam to PTO - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Announce 2019 Summer Street Hockey Series
- Monsters End Season with 6-2 Loss to Marlies in Game 4
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters
- Monsters Drop Game 3 to Marlies by 2-0 Final Score
- Monsters Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies