Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC
FRESNO, Calif. - Real Monarchs SLC (10-7-5, 35 points) picked up a hard-fought road point at Chukchansi Park against Fresno FC with a 1-1 draw on Friday night.
FW Douglas Martinez scored his 10th goal of the season in his return to the Utah side after spending time with the Honduras U-23s while RSL MF Kelyn Rowe made his debut for the club with his start against the Foxes. GK David Ochoa made six saves throughout the night to aid in earning the point on the road.
Through the first half, both sides found opportunities as the two teams looked for the opening goal. Fresno FC had a strong opportunity in the 18th minute when Fresno striker Juan Pablo Caffa rifled a shot from distance but was denied by Ochoa who dove to catch the ball out of the air. MF Jack Blake took an opportunity of his own shortly after during a strong Monarchs attacking run that ended with his shot missing high. It was the Foxes that struck first through Jamie Chavez whose headed effort found the back of the net to give the home side the lead at the break.
The Monarchs came out of the break strong in the second half as DF Kalen Ryden generated a low headed shot that was cleared off the goal line. The Monarchs found the equalizer soon after in the 71st minute when Martinez redirected a cross from the end line from MF Maikel Chang to put away the ball at the near post. The Monarchs pressure mounted through the remainder of the match, but the Foxes defense stood firm to prevent the Utah side from finding the go-ahead goal to split the points at Chukchansi Park.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC goes back out on the road to face Orange County SC in Irvine, California. The contest is scheduled for Saturday, August 24 where kickoff from Championship Soccer Stadium at OC Great Park is set for 8:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
FRS: Jamie Chavez (Zachary Ellis-Hayden), 38th minute: Fresno FC's attacking pressure paid off in the 38th minute after testing David Ochoa with multiple saves. Ellis-Hayden sent a lobbed ball forward into the penalty area where Jamie Chavez lie in wait. Chavez made the dive to get his head in towards the ball to redirect in at the near post for the first goal.
SLC: Douglas Martinez (Maikel Chang), 71st minute: In a quick attacking run, Maikel Chang made a cross near the end-line towards the middle of the park. Martinez was there to jump and slip the ball in past Fresno GK C.J. Cochran to find the equalizer and his tenth goal of the season.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
SLC: David Ochoa, 18th minute: Fresno attacker Juan Pablo Caffa took an opportunity from distance, sending a strong strike towards goal that looked to find the corner of the far post. Ochoa answered with a long dive to catch the ball out of the air and keep the score level.
SLC: David Ochoa, 37th minute: Fresno FC nearly found the opening goal late in the first half with a low headed effort towards the near post, but Ochoa was quick to respond. Dropping low at the post, Ochoa deflected the ball to protect the early scoring.
FRS: Zachary Ellis-Hayden, 51st minute: From a Real Monarchs corner served in by Noah Powder, Kalen Ryden was unmarked to make a jump into the air to meet the cross with his head. The headed effort went low and looked to go into the net, but Ellis-Hayden made a clearance off the line to keep the lead.
- FW Douglas Martinez rejoined the Monarchs after winning the silver medal with the Honduran U-23 National Team at the Pan American Games. He marked his return with the equalizing goal in the 71st minute.
- RSL MF Kelyn Rowe made his debut for the club making an appearance on the Starting XI for the Monarchs.
- With the draw, Real Monarchs SLC held onto fourth place in the Western Conference, keeping third place Fresno FC just nine points ahead.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at Fresno FC
Date: August 16, 2019
Venue: Chukchansi Park; Fresno, California
Weather: 105 degrees and clear skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 1 1
Fresno FC 1 0 1
FRS: Jamie Chavez (Zachary Ellis-Hayden), 38'
SLC: Douglas Martinez (Maikel Chang), 71'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): David Ochoa; Steve Jasso, Noah Powder, Kalen Ryden, Erik Holt; Jack Blake, Maikel Chang (Konrad Plewa, 86'), Luis Arriaga (Kyle Coffee 73'), Tate Schmitt (Luis Palma, 75'), Kelyn Rowe; Douglas Martinez
Subs not used: Evan Finney, James Moberg, Jordan Pena, Cristian Calix
Fresno FC (4-4-2): C.J. Cochran; Michael Daly, Zachary Ellis-Hayden, Elijah Martin, Ramón Del Campo; Hiroki Kurimoto, Suleiman Samura, Jemal Johnson, Jems Geffrard (Diego Casillas, 70'); Jaime Chávez (Qudus Lawal, 90'), Juan Pablo Caffa
Subs not used: Sam Strong, Renato Bustamante, Sam Howard, Emir Alihodzic, Christian Chaney
Stats Summary: SLC/FRS
Shots: 9 / 16
Shots on Goal: 3 / 7
Saves: 6 / 1
Corner Kicks: 1 / 7
Fouls: 14 / 12
Offside: 2 / 0
FRS - Michael Daly (Caution) 57'
FRS - Zachary Ellis-Hayden (Caution) 78'
Referee: Matthew Thompson
Assistant Referees: Justin Fillmore, Sarah Cortez
4th Official: Jamie Padilla
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 17, 2019
- Roughnecks Fall to Bold 1-5 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2 - New Mexico United
- Late Goal, Sixth Straight Shutout Earn Legion FC the Win - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man Toros Draw with SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Fall Short against Louisville in Mueller's 200th Appearance - Charleston Battery
- Memphis 901 FC Gutted Late at Birmingham Legion FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Ottawa Fury 3-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United
- Hounds' Unbeaten Streak Ends against North Carolina - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville's Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
- NCFC Earns Biggest Win of Season with 5-0 Victory over Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Scores Three for a Big Three Points on the Road - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rios Brace, Belmar Strike Power Nashville SC to 3-1 Win at Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Puerto Rico National Team for First International Match; Wins 5-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Athletic Welcome Puerto Rico National Team to Hartford - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover - New Mexico United
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Republic FC Loan Defender Elliott Hord to Hartford Athletic - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Lineup Could Get a Boost Ahead of Clash with Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Returns Home in Second Match-Up vs. Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- T2 Fall 4-2 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Zorros Home Unbeaten Streak Continues in 1-1 Draw with Real Monarchs - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Phoenix Rising FC in Final Road Trip of 2019 Regular Season
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0
- Real Monarchs SLC Seeks Playoff Berth at Home against Orange County SC on Wednesday
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 2-1 Comeback Victory over Reno 1868 FC