Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix
PHOENIX, Ariz. - Reno 1868 FC dropped their road match against Phoenix Rising FC tonight, falling 4-2 in the desert. Reno falls to 13-7-5, but avoids sliding to third in the USL's Western Conference thanks to a draw between Fresno FC and Real Monarchs SLC.
"I thought we fought and played quite well at times, but made some errors that cost us," said head coach Ian Russell. "If they fight like that I've got no complaints. I thought we went toe to toe with them and created some chances."
Phoenix would score first, making it 1-0 with a goal in the 20th minute. The lead would hold up through the rest of the first half, despite the boys in blue outshooting Phoenix 8-5 through 45 minutes.
"They sat back in the second half, again. Which they don't ever do," said Russell. "We worked on what we need to do when teams sit back and we were able to get two on them."
Within eight minutes of the second half starting, Los Azules would tie it up with a strike from Danny Musovski to make it 1-1. Phoenix would counter in the 59th minute as Solomon Asante converted a penalty to retake the lead 2-1. Two minutes later, another Phoenix goal would make it 3-1.
Reigning player of the month Corey Hertzog would score his 12th goal of the season in the 74th minute, cutting the lead in half at 3-2. The total moves him into a tie for fourth in the league
Asante's second penalty of the night would finish it at 4-2 in the 79th minute.
Thanks to a draw between Fresno FC and Real Monarchs SLC, Reno avoided falling into third in the west. Both Fresno and Reno own 44 points, with Reno holding on to one more win. Fresno will make the trip to Northern Nevada on September 7 in another hugely important match.
"The good thing that came out of this is that guys are completely bought in and the fight was there," said Russell. "We've got to get better but I told them if you work as hard as you can I don't care what the score is."
Reno outshot Phoenix 17-12, just 1868 FC's second loss this season when outshooting their opponent.
"I think we know we can compete with this team, whether we face them in the playoffs or not who knows."
Reno will have a bye week next week, and will be back in action on August 31 to welcome Portland Timbers 2 to Greater Nevada Field. Kickoff is set for 6:45 p.m. PT, and the first 1,000 fans will receive a free 1868 FC scarf. Tickets are available at reno1868fc.com or the Greater Nevada Field ticket office.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (12) Matt Bersano, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (2) Emrah Klimenta, D (16) Brent Richards,
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (8) Will Seymore, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (24) Gilbert Fuentes, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (22) Siad Haji
45' Lindo Mfeka Ã Gilbert Fuentes
64' Siad Haji Ã Raul Mendiola
70' Aidan Apodaca Ã Danny Musovski
Danny Musovski 53'
Corey Hertzog 74'
Aidan Apodaca 74'
Raul Mendiola 24'
Benjamin Galindo Cruz 53'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 17, 2019
- Roughnecks Fall to Bold 1-5 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2 - New Mexico United
- Late Goal, Sixth Straight Shutout Earn Legion FC the Win - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man Toros Draw with SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Fall Short against Louisville in Mueller's 200th Appearance - Charleston Battery
- Memphis 901 FC Gutted Late at Birmingham Legion FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Ottawa Fury 3-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United
- Hounds' Unbeaten Streak Ends against North Carolina - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville's Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
- NCFC Earns Biggest Win of Season with 5-0 Victory over Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Scores Three for a Big Three Points on the Road - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rios Brace, Belmar Strike Power Nashville SC to 3-1 Win at Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Puerto Rico National Team for First International Match; Wins 5-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Athletic Welcome Puerto Rico National Team to Hartford - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover - New Mexico United
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Republic FC Loan Defender Elliott Hord to Hartford Athletic - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Lineup Could Get a Boost Ahead of Clash with Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Returns Home in Second Match-Up vs. Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- T2 Fall 4-2 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Zorros Home Unbeaten Streak Continues in 1-1 Draw with Real Monarchs - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno 1868 FC Clinches Second Seed in the Western Conference
- Reno 1868 FC Travels to Tulsa to Close out 2019 Regular Season
- Kevin Partida Named to USL Team of the Week
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match
- 1868 FC Heads South for Silver State Cup Finale