New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover
ALBUQUERQUE, NM - New Mexico United, the state's professional soccer team, was founded on the basis of serving as a unifying force for all of New Mexico. Now, this message is being carried to outer space with a final destination on the red planet.
Sports superfan, Jerry Stoces, contacted New Mexico United in the spring of this year with a unique proposition. He first heard about the team from close friends who reside in Rio Rancho. Thanks to Stoces, the top deck of the Mars Rover will feature a small chip engraved with "New Mexico United." United is the second sports team that Stoces has sent to space. In 2014, Stoces had the LA Kings engraved on a chip that was placed inside of the NASA Orion Space Capsule.
"The gravity of what we are doing has been noticed throughout the country and around the globe," said Peter Trevisani, CEO and majority owner of New Mexico United. "We are proud to carry the name of our home state into new frontiers, including outer space."
Stoces will travel from California to New Mexico to present the official certificate to New Mexico United at the August 17 home match against L.A. Galaxy II. While in Albuquerque, Stoces plans to stop at the University of New Mexico Children's Hospital with NASA teddy bears and goodies for approximately 75 children.
"New Mexico has long played an integral part in NASA's mission of discovery and exploration. From the first Mercury Astronauts testing at the Lovelace Clinic to the discoveries made by the Very Large Array radio telescopes in Socorro to White Sands Missile Range hosting the third space shuttle mission landing of Columbia, to the boundless adventures that await at Spaceport America," said Jerry Stoces. "New Mexico United's name epitomizes everything wonderful about this state and we are so very proud, to take the United, and the amazing citizens of this great state, with us on this voyage of discovery."
The Mars 2020 Rover is slated to launch from Cape Canaveral between July 17 - August 5 of next year and will land on February 18, 2021, near the Jezero Crater on Mars. From there, the rover will spend a little under two years traversing the rocky terrain with New Mexico United along for the ride. The primary goal of this mission is not only to search for signs of habitable conditions for human life but also searching for signs of past microbial life.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 17, 2019
- Roughnecks Fall to Bold 1-5 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2 - New Mexico United
- Late Goal, Sixth Straight Shutout Earn Legion FC the Win - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man Toros Draw with SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Fall Short against Louisville in Mueller's 200th Appearance - Charleston Battery
- Memphis 901 FC Gutted Late at Birmingham Legion FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Ottawa Fury 3-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Hounds' Unbeaten Streak Ends against North Carolina - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville's Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
- NCFC Earns Biggest Win of Season with 5-0 Victory over Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Scores Three for a Big Three Points on the Road - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rios Brace, Belmar Strike Power Nashville SC to 3-1 Win at Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Puerto Rico National Team for First International Match; Wins 5-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Athletic Welcome Puerto Rico National Team to Hartford - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover - New Mexico United
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Republic FC Loan Defender Elliott Hord to Hartford Athletic - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Lineup Could Get a Boost Ahead of Clash with Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Returns Home in Second Match-Up vs. Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- T2 Fall 4-2 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Zorros Home Unbeaten Streak Continues in 1-1 Draw with Real Monarchs - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United, Electric Playhouse Team up to Announce "Meal and a Match" Interactive Watch Parties
- New Mexico United to Host First "Home" Match of the Season in Colorado Springs
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast
- New Mexico United Match against Phoenix to be Played in Phoenix