Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising FC took down Reno 1868 FC, the No. 2 team in the Western Conference 4-2 to extend its winning streak to 14 matches overall and its unbeaten streak at home to 15 matches. The club is also now 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night.
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising is now 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Nights.
Phoenix Rising extends its winning streak to 14 matches.
Phoenix Rising extends its home unbeaten streak and sellout streak to 15 matches.
Solomon Asante becomes the club's new career goals leader.
The sellout crowd of 7,046 (the 15th straight sellout at Casino Arizona Field) came to its feet 20 minutes into the match when forward Junior Flemmings maneuvered his way through the defense before flicking a quick shot with his right foot to beat the keeper to the far right side of the net. Rising FC went into the half holding on to that 1-0 lead.
Reno 1868 FC came out of the halftime strong and eventually equalized thanks to the efforts of their striker Danny Musovski, who made it 1-1 in the 53rd minute. But the match didn't remain tied for long.
Just before the hour mark, Rising FC defender Amadou Dia drew a foul in the box off a quick counter strike. Captain Solomon Asante stepped up to the spot and buried his opportunity to put the team back up a goal.
Two minutes later, in the 61st minute, defender Mustapha Dumbuya charged hard into the box form the right side in an attempt to score. His first shot was blocked by the keeper but he spilled the ball into space. Dumbuya jumped on the opportunity and smashed the free ball into the back of the net for his first goal of 2019 and a 3-1 lead.
Reno 1868 FC was undeterred. Despite falling behind two goals, the club maintained a dangerous attack and in the 74th minute their efforts paid off with a Corey Hertzog goal to make it 3-2.
But the Phoenix attack proved too dangerous. Just five minutes after giving up a goal, Rising FC was back on the front foot and midfielder Kevon Lambert was in a dangerous spot in the box before being knocked to the ground by a defender for a foul. Asante easily converted the penalty to seal the 4-2 win.
The goal was Asante's 32nd career goal, a new club record. The USL Championship Golden Boot Leader also now has 18 goals scored this season, just one shy of matching the club's single-season goal record.
Phoenix Rising puts it's 13-match $1 Beer Night winning streak, it's 14-match regular-season winning streak, and its 15-match home unbeaten streak on the line next Friday, August 23, against Western Conference rival Sacramento Republic FC. The match is scheduled to kickoff at 7:30 p.m. and fans can purchase tickets at PHXRisingFC.com.
PHOENIX RISING FC 4-2 RENO 1868 FC
PHX: 20', 7Junior Flemmings (20-Solomon Asante)
RNO: 53', 9-Danny Musovski
PHX: 59', 20-Solomon Asante (PK)
PHX: 61', 24-Mustapha Dumbuya
RNO: 74', 21-Corey Hertzog (17-Aipan Apodaca)
PHX: 79', 2--Solomon Asante (PK)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran, 2-Doueugui Mala, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya; 41-James Musa (80', 8-Peter-Lee Vassell), 27-Kevon Lambert, 10-Jon Bakero (72', José Aguinaga); 7-Junior Flemmings, 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 15-Joey Farrell, 16-Austin Ledbetter, 21-Joey Calistri, 22-Ben Spencer, 32- Kyle Bjornethun
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 17, 2019
- Roughnecks Fall to Bold 1-5 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2 - New Mexico United
- Late Goal, Sixth Straight Shutout Earn Legion FC the Win - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man Toros Draw with SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Fall Short against Louisville in Mueller's 200th Appearance - Charleston Battery
- Memphis 901 FC Gutted Late at Birmingham Legion FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Ottawa Fury 3-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Hounds' Unbeaten Streak Ends against North Carolina - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville's Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
- NCFC Earns Biggest Win of Season with 5-0 Victory over Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Scores Three for a Big Three Points on the Road - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rios Brace, Belmar Strike Power Nashville SC to 3-1 Win at Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Puerto Rico National Team for First International Match; Wins 5-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Athletic Welcome Puerto Rico National Team to Hartford - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover - New Mexico United
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Republic FC Loan Defender Elliott Hord to Hartford Athletic - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Lineup Could Get a Boost Ahead of Clash with Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Returns Home in Second Match-Up vs. Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- T2 Fall 4-2 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Zorros Home Unbeaten Streak Continues in 1-1 Draw with Real Monarchs - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes
- Rick Schantz Resumes as Phoenix Rising FC Head Coach
- Rising Advance to Western Conference Finals with 5-4 Win in Penalties
- Rising looks to advance to Western Conference Final Tonight vs. Reno 1868
- Rising Advance to Conference Semifinals with 1-0 Win vs. Republic