New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2
(ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico) A record breaking crowd of 15,427 at Isotopes Park would have loved to see New Mexico United take all three points from Saturday's match with LA Galaxy II. Unfortunately, they had to settle for 1 point, as the game ended in a 2:2 draw.
The visitors struck first when LA's Mohammed Kesselly Kamara snuck one past United goalkeeper Cody Mizell in the 9th minute. The lead would hold for about 15 minutes until New Mexico strung together a stunning combination that culminated with Chris Wehan tucking away his attempt neatly. Santi Moar assisted on the goal.
Things took an interesting turn in the 41st minute when LA's Adam Saldana was shown his second yellow card of the evening. United were ultimately not able to make full use of the man advantage. The frustration of a shot off the crossbar and a missed penalty was capped when LA was awarded a penalty in the 74th minute, which they converted.
United continued to press and earned another penalty in the 77th minute. Kevaughn Frater converted it with the cheekiest of chips. The final 25 minutes featured wave after wave of United attacks but none of their attempts ever found the net.
Up Next: United are on the road for the next match as they travel to take on San Antonio FC on August 24th.
NM: Wehan, 22', Frater 77' (P)
LA: Kamara, 9', Williams, 74'(P)
NM: Frater, 55' (Yellow); Soler, 74' (Yellow); Sandoval, 85' (Yellow)
LA: Saldana, 25' (Yellow) 40' (Second Yellow); Hernandez, 52' (Yellow); Vera, 71' (Yellow);
NM: Shots: 21 Shots on Goal: 9 Saves: 3 Fouls: 15 Corner Kicks: 10 Offside:1
POR: Shots: 9 Shots on Goal: 5 Saves: 7 Fouls: 19 Corner Kicks: 5 Offside:0
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 17, 2019
- Roughnecks Fall to Bold 1-5 - FC Tulsa
- New Mexico Ties LA Galaxy 2 - New Mexico United
- Late Goal, Sixth Straight Shutout Earn Legion FC the Win - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC - San Antonio FC
- 10-Man Toros Draw with SAFC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Battery Fall Short against Louisville in Mueller's 200th Appearance - Charleston Battery
- Memphis 901 FC Gutted Late at Birmingham Legion FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United Fall to the Ottawa Fury 3-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- Hounds' Unbeaten Streak Ends against North Carolina - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville's Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
- NCFC Earns Biggest Win of Season with 5-0 Victory over Pittsburgh - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Scores Three for a Big Three Points on the Road - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rios Brace, Belmar Strike Power Nashville SC to 3-1 Win at Charlotte - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic Welcomes Puerto Rico National Team for First International Match; Wins 5-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Athletic Welcome Puerto Rico National Team to Hartford - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- New Mexico United to Appear on Mars 2020 Rover - New Mexico United
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Republic FC Loan Defender Elliott Hord to Hartford Athletic - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC Lineup Could Get a Boost Ahead of Clash with Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Returns Home in Second Match-Up vs. Saint Louis FC - Indy Eleven
- T2 Fall 4-2 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Zorros Home Unbeaten Streak Continues in 1-1 Draw with Real Monarchs - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 13-0-0 on $1 Beer Night Following 4-2 Win over Reno - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno Falls 4-2 in Phoenix - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 1-1 Road Draw at Fresno FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United, Electric Playhouse Team up to Announce "Meal and a Match" Interactive Watch Parties
- New Mexico United to Host First "Home" Match of the Season in Colorado Springs
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast
- New Mexico United Match against Phoenix to be Played in Phoenix