Rampage Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision to Texas in Regular Season Finale
CEDAR PARK, TX (April 18, 2015) - The San Antonio Rampage (45-23-7-1) dropped their regular season finale to the Texas Stars (40-22-13-1) 4-3 in overtime in front of 6,863 at the Cedar Park Center on Saturday night.
The Rampage, who will be the No. 3 seed in the 2015 Calder Cup Playoffs, will take on the sixth-seeded Oklahoma City Barons in the Western Conference Quarterfinals.
Just as they did in Saturday night's game, the Stars struck first, getting a goal from Julius Honka to take a 1-0 lead just over seven minutes in to the contest.
Matej Stransky made it 2-0 when he picked up the puck behind the net, maneuvered around and flipped it past Michael Houser at the 13:35 mark. He scored again just over five minutes later, collecting his own rebound and burying the puck from the slot to give the Stars a 3-0 lead at the first intermission.
The Rampage scored three unanswered goals in the second period to knot the game at three. Connor Brickley batted in a rebound off a shot from Alex Petrovic for his 22nd of the season, Wade Megan scored a shorthanded breakaway goal and Vincent Trocheck buried a backhand on the doorstep.
The goals by Megan and Trocheck were the second in as many games for both players, who were responsible for the Rampage's two goals on Friday night. Megan now has three shorthanded tallies on the season and is tied with Brett Olson for the team lead in shorthanded goals.
After a scoreless third period, Texas and San Antonio played overtime for the third time in the 12-game season series. Brendan Ranford converted on a cross-ice pass from Patrik Nemeth to secure a 4-3 overtime win for the Stars.
Houser finished with 23 saves on 27 shots, and both teams were 0-for-1 on the power play.
In a game with no bearing on playoff seeding, coach Tom Rowe rested many of the team's more veteran players. Dany Heatley, Greg Zanon, Mark Mancari, and Blake Parlett were all scratches. Vincent Trocheck centered Garrett Wilson and John McFarland on the top line. Rocco Grimaldi centered Quinton Howden and Kyle Rau on the second line.
The Rampage are locked into the No. 3 seed for the Calder Cup Playoffs. Playoff tickets are available and can be purchased on sarampage.com or by calling a Rampage sales representative at (210) 444-5554.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2015
- Bulldogs Announce 2014-15 Team Awards - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Face San Antonio in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins Win Midwest Division, Await First-Round Foe - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Broadhurst, Wolves Prevail in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Sellout Crowd Sees Stars End Regular Season with 4-3 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Tickets on Sale for Crunch-Penguins Playoff Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision to Texas in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Beat Bruins on Fan Appreciation Night - Portland Pirates
- Monsters Top Bulldogs 4-3 in Shootout in 'Dogs Final AHL Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monsters Top Hamilton 4-3 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Hershey Pulls Away in Phantoms Final Road Tilt - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in OKC - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport closes road season with win - Bridgeport Islanders
- B-Sens End Season with 5-0 Shutout - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs Win Home Finale, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Goldobin Scores Twice in 4-2 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Stay Alive with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Admirals' Final AHL Game - Norfolk Admirals
- Bears Cruise into Postseason with Decisive Win - Hershey Bears
- Amerks Get Blanked by B-Sens, 5-0 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Finish 2014-15 Season on High Note - Charlotte Checkers
- Despite Gutsy Win, Devils Eliminated from Postseason - Albany Devils
- Falcons Rally Past IceCaps, 4-3, in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps Drop Final Game of 2015 to Falcons - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Are Best in the West After 3-2 Win vs Flames - Utica Comets
- IceHogs Announce 2014-15 Team Award Winners - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Present 2014-15 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Halted by Hungry Albany 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Pirates Announce 2014-2015 Player Awards - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Awards Presented at Season Finale - St. John's IceCaps
- Rolling Hogs Conclude Regular Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs Sign Difruscia and Maletta to ATO's - Manchester Monarchs
- IceCaps Release Ryan Parent from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids