Pirates Beat Bruins on Fan Appreciation Night
Portland, Me. - The Portland Pirates (38-28-7-2) beat the Providence Bruins (40-26-7-2) by a score of 3-2 in a must-win game on Saturday night at the Cross Insurance Arena. It was Fan Appreciation Night and the final home game of the regular season for the Pirates. The win kept the playoff hopes alive for Portland, who has the chance to clinch a Calder Cup Playoff berth with either a win or an overtime appearance tomorrow against the Worcester Sharks.
Tyler Gaudet gave the Pirates the lead in the opening period with a goal at 10:21 with assists from Eric Selleck and Dylan Reese. The Pirates increased their lead to 2-0 in the second period with a goal from Laurent Dauphin at 7:46, the first of his professional career, assisted by Phil Lane and Lucas Lessio. The Bruins cut into the Pirates' lead at 16:03 in the second when Tommy Cross scored, assisted by Zach Trotman and Zach Phillips. Alex Bolduc then scored a short-handed goal at 18:05, assisted by Jordan Szwarz and Reese to make it 3-1 in favor of Portland.
The Bruins tried to rally in the third but ultimately came up short. Rob Flick netted a goal at 15:59 in the final frame, assisted by Cory Kane and Ben Sexton. The Pirates were able to hold on to their lead and stay afloat in the playoff race.
Louis Domingue (11-6-2) was in net for the irates and helped to secure their first win in nine games. Domingue was able to stop 25 of 27 Bruins shots. Jeremy Smith (22-11-5) started in net for Providence, stopping 30 of 33 Pirate shots.
The Pirates travel to Worcester April 19 to take on the Sharks at 3:00 p.m. It is the last regular season game for the Pirates who are still hoping to clinch a playoff berth tomorrow evening. In the event that the Pirates do clinch a trip to the Calder Cup Playoffs, information regarding tickets will be forthcoming. Fans can call 207-PIRATES for more details.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2015
- Bulldogs Announce 2014-15 Team Awards - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Face San Antonio in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins Win Midwest Division, Await First-Round Foe - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Broadhurst, Wolves Prevail in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Sellout Crowd Sees Stars End Regular Season with 4-3 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Tickets on Sale for Crunch-Penguins Playoff Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision to Texas in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Beat Bruins on Fan Appreciation Night - Portland Pirates
- Monsters Top Bulldogs 4-3 in Shootout in 'Dogs Final AHL Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monsters Top Hamilton 4-3 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Hershey Pulls Away in Phantoms Final Road Tilt - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in OKC - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport closes road season with win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens End Season with 5-0 Shutout - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs Win Home Finale, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Goldobin Scores Twice in 4-2 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Stay Alive with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Admirals' Final AHL Game - Norfolk Admirals
- Bears Cruise into Postseason with Decisive Win - Hershey Bears
- Amerks Get Blanked by B-Sens, 5-0 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Finish 2014-15 Season on High Note - Charlotte Checkers
- Despite Gutsy Win, Devils Eliminated from Postseason - Albany Devils
- Falcons Rally Past IceCaps, 4-3, in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps Drop Final Game of 2015 to Falcons - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Are Best in the West After 3-2 Win vs Flames - Utica Comets
- IceHogs Announce 2014-15 Team Award Winners - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Present 2014-15 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Halted by Hungry Albany 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Pirates Announce 2014-2015 Player Awards - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Awards Presented at Season Finale - St. John's IceCaps
- Rolling Hogs Conclude Regular Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs Sign Difruscia and Maletta to ATO's - Manchester Monarchs
- IceCaps Release Ryan Parent from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.