Monsters Top Hamilton 4-3 in Shootout
Joey Hishon scored the shootout's lone goal and Calvin Pickard denied all three attempts against him to propel the Lake Erie Monsters (35-29-8-4) to a season-ending 4-3 shootout road win over the Hamilton Bulldogs (34-29-12-1) Saturday night at FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, Ontario. Cody Corbett, Stefan Elliott, and Freddie Hamilton scored for the Monsters, and Andrew Agozzino notched two assists. The Monsters 2015-16 home opener is set for October 16th.
Cody Corbett scored his third goal of the season to give the Monsters a 1-0 lead at 14:30 of the first period. Andrew Agozzino spotted Corbett cutting to the net, hit him with a pass from the right corner, and Corbett made a move to beat Hamilton goalie Brandon Whitney along the ice. Duncan Siemens also assisted. Hamilton's Eric Tangradi tied the game at 1-1 at the 16:10 mark of the first period.
T.J. Hensick scored from the left circle to give Hamilton a 2-1 lead at 12:52 of the second period, but the Monsters controlled the rest of the middle frame. Stefan Elliott scored a power play goal on a wrister from the left point to tie the game 2-2 at 14:56 of the second period; his 19th goal of the season, assisted by Agozzino and Joey Hishon. Freddie Hamilton ripped a shot through Whitney at 15:41 of the second period to give the Monsters a 3-2 lead that held through the end of the second period. Freddie Hamilton's goal from the right circle was unassisted, and was his 11th this season.
Christian Thomas tied the game at 3-3 for Hamilton when he fired a puck home from inside the left circle with 16:13 left in the third period. Sven Andrighetto assisted, making a cross-ice feed to Thomas.
Thomas' goal ultimately forced overtime, and a shootout. In the shootout, Joey Hishon scored to give the Monsters an edge in the opening round. Calvin Pickard stopped all three Hamilton shooters to secure the 4-3 shootout win for the Monsters.
Pickard stopped 40 of 43 shots in the Monsters net, and finishes the season with an individual record of 23-17-9. Whitney was making his first AHL start, and stopped 33 of 36 shots and one of two shootout attempts.
The Monsters home opener for the 2015-16 season is set for October 16th.
NOTES: The Monsters finish the six-game season series against Hamilton with a 4-1-1-0 record... The Monsters finish the season with a road record of 17-14-5-2... Agozzino's two assists give him 34 assists and 64 points on the season... Elliott finishes the season with 13 power play goals... The Monsters were 1-2 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill... The Monsters were 2-4 in shootouts this season... Follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lakeeriemonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey .
Images from this story
Lake Erie Monsters vs. Hamilton Bulldogs
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2015
- Bulldogs Announce 2014-15 Team Awards - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Face San Antonio in First Round of Calder Cup Playoffs - Oklahoma City Barons
- Griffins Win Midwest Division, Await First-Round Foe - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Broadhurst, Wolves Prevail in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Sellout Crowd Sees Stars End Regular Season with 4-3 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Tickets on Sale for Crunch-Penguins Playoff Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision to Texas in Regular Season Finale - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Beat Bruins on Fan Appreciation Night - Portland Pirates
- Monsters Top Bulldogs 4-3 in Shootout in 'Dogs Final AHL Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monsters Top Hamilton 4-3 in Shootout - Cleveland Monsters
- Hershey Pulls Away in Phantoms Final Road Tilt - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wild Closes out Season with 4-2 Defeat in OKC - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport closes road season with win - Bridgeport Islanders
- B-Sens End Season with 5-0 Shutout - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs Win Home Finale, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Goldobin Scores Twice in 4-2 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Stay Alive with 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Admirals' Final AHL Game - Norfolk Admirals
- Bears Cruise into Postseason with Decisive Win - Hershey Bears
- Amerks Get Blanked by B-Sens, 5-0 - Rochester Americans
- Checkers Finish 2014-15 Season on High Note - Charlotte Checkers
- Despite Gutsy Win, Devils Eliminated from Postseason - Albany Devils
- Falcons Rally Past IceCaps, 4-3, in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- IceCaps Drop Final Game of 2015 to Falcons - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Are Best in the West After 3-2 Win vs Flames - Utica Comets
- IceHogs Announce 2014-15 Team Award Winners - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Present 2014-15 Team Awards - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Halted by Hungry Albany 4-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Pirates Announce 2014-2015 Player Awards - Portland Pirates
- IceCaps Awards Presented at Season Finale - St. John's IceCaps
- Rolling Hogs Conclude Regular Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs Sign Difruscia and Maletta to ATO's - Manchester Monarchs
- IceCaps Release Ryan Parent from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Fall 3-2 to Marlies After Five Round Shootout
- Monsters Battle Back for 2-1 Victory over Senators
- Monsters Offense Shines in 4-0 Shutout of Senators
- Monsters Unveil New Monsters Eye-View Podcast
- Monsters Recall Goaltender Jet Greaves from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings