Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (14-17) took it to extras for the first time this season but the Chinooks walked it off in the eleventh with an RBI single from Turner Buis to win 10-9.
The cranberry and gold found themselves in an early hole after the first. Lakeshore scored five times on four hits and a Rafters error. Wisconsin Rapids answered with a four-run second. Brody Wofford (UCF) nailed a three-run double and Mitch Mallek (St. Cloud State) followed with his own double to score Wofford.
A sacrifice fly brought in a run for Lakeshore in their half of the second and two more scored off another Rafter error. Wisconsin Rapids tied it up at eight apiece in the fifth. With the base loaded, Mike Rojas (Auburn) was hit by a pitch from Brendan McGuigan. This allowed Ty Duvall (Vanderbilt) to score from third. Matt Schmidt (Michigan) worked a walk with the based loaded. Payton Robertson (Louisiana State Shreveport) collected an RBI on a fielder's choice and Jordan Wiley (Kalamazoo College) brought in Rojas with a sac fly to tie it.
Ronald Sweeny III broke the stalemate in the seventh with an RBI single. The Rafters tied it again in the top of the ninth. Duvall worked a leadoff walk and Steven Rivas (Long Beach State) delivered an RBI triple for the tie.
In the eleventh, Lakeshore got their leadoff man Jim Govern aboard with a double. Govern moved over to third on a wild pitch. Turner Buis delivered the walk-off single to right to end the game.
Luis Ferrer (1-0, 1.12) earned the win with a scoreless 1.1 innings in the final moments. Chandler Brierley (0-1, 7.14) was given the loss allowing the winning run.
The Rafters are back at Witter Field for three in a row starting tomorrow hosting the Kenosha Kingfish. First pitch is set for 6:05 pm CT.
Images from this story
Wisconsin Rapids Rafters outfielder Steven Rivas
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters to Hold 7th Annual Hot Stove Rendezvous
- Rafters Announce 2020 Northwoods League Schedule
- Former Rafters Make a Splash in Professional Baseball
- Skyward and Rafters Hold 7th Annual Teacher of the Year Essay Contest
- Schiekofer Earns Rawlings 'Big Stick' Award