Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss
La Crosse, Wis. - La Crosse lost 7-5 to Mankato on a hot and humid Friday night at Copeland Park in front of 2,440 fans. The Loggers fall to 14-17 on the season with the first half of the season ending next week.
The MoonDogs jumped out to an early two run lead in the first inning on four singles, and extended their lead to 3-0 the following frame after collecting seven early hits off of La Crosse starter Ian Bedell (Missouri). The Loggers would storm back to take the lead 4-3 in the bottom half of the second as three consecutive RBI singles from Tim Lilly (Villanova), Jarron Silva (UCLA) and Braiden Ward (Washington) tied the game at 3-3 before a wild pitch scored Lilly from third to give the Loggers the lead.
Mankato would immediately tie the game in the following inning with a solo home run from CJ Huntley, and ultimately regain the lead with a run in the fourth. With the score 5-4 in the eighth, the MoonDogs added a pair of valuable insurance runs on an RBI single from Garrett Mitchell that resulted in two runs after a three-base error by the left fielder allowing Mitchell to circle the bases.
The four-run second inning is all the Loggers' offense could manage until the eighth when Silva, Shane McGuire (San Diego), and Harrison Freed (Butler) reached before Mike Rothenberg (Duke) earned an RBI with a hit by pitch to bring home Silva. The Lumbermen would strand the tying run on base, however, and go quietly in the ninth to lose 7-5.
La Crosse (14-17) will open a home-away series with the Rochester Honkers (14-18) Saturday afternoon before traveling to Rochester on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 3:05 PM CT, with a special live performance from the Dueling Duo Pianos set to take place following the game.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.