Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9
Loves Park, Ill. - The Rockford Rivets lost to the Kalamazoo Growlers on Friday night at Rivets Stadium by a score of 21-9 in a very one sided game.
If the Growlers were seeking revenge after their 14-1 loss on Thursday night to Rockford, they got it on Friday night. On any other day, nine runs might be enough to win a game, and the Rivets even managed to put up six runs in one inning.
However, Kalamazoo had six players with at least two hits and finished with 20 hits total to help put up 21 runs against the Rivets.
Rivet's starter Cole Bellair was pulled in the first inning after exceeding the Northwoods League pitch count rule of 35 pitches in one single inning. Bellair was pulled in the first after giving up nine runs, with six of them being unearned due to errors committed by the defense.
This was Bellair's final game in a Rockford uniform this season and despite this tough game he finished the season with numbers worth noting. In six starts this summer, he went 31.2 innings with 32 strikeouts and just nine walks, while also posting a 2.55 earned run average and a 4-2 record. Bellair has spent the last three summers with the Rivets since they first joined the Northwoods League three years ago.
Rivet's Manager Brian Smith spoke about his starter after the game.
"It was unfortunate it had to be Cole's last night," Smith said. "Tonight he just didn't have command and it's unfortunate, but you can't ask the guy to go out and throw up zeros every single start."
Rockford used a combination of pitchers to complete the game, which included JT Baksha, Matt Vanek, Cade Bunnell and Cory Wright. In the end, the Growlers bats were just too much on this particular night.
The Rivets now travel to Battle Creek for the first time this year to take on the Bombers for a weekend series that starts tomorrow at 6:35 pm.
Images from this story
Rockford Rivets huddle
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.