Mallards Have Chance to Clinch
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (24-7) hit the road today looking for a sweep of the Wisconsin Woodchucks (8-22). The Mallards take on the Woodchucks at 6:35 PM in Wausau with a chance to clinch the Northwoods League South Division first half title. With a Kalamazoo loss in Rockford tonight, and a Mallards victory, the Mallards will claim the first half crown due to a 3.0 game lead, possession of the tiebreaker with Kalamazoo, and five games remaining.
Scheduled to start tonight for the Mallards is Texas A&M southpaw Dustin Saenz. Saenz has made two appearances this season out of the bullpen, allowing three runs over 4.1 innings on the bump. Despite allowing a couple runs, Saenz has only given up two hits, holding opposing batters to just a .133 clip at the plate. Saenz looks to match Ryan Kutt's (Illinois) stellar outing last night when he went 7.0 scoreless innings and allowed only one hit while striking out seven.
Players to Watch
Mallards infielder Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee) is in the midst of a 15 game hit streak, a NWL season high. The sophomore has raised his average to .315 thanks to a hot two weeks at the dish. Schwecke has been a threat on the base paths all season, leading the team with 12 stolen bases.
Mallards third baseman Tyler Plantier (Richmond) is the NWL leader in home runs (8) this season. Plantier has launched four bombs over his last six games and has knocked in 25 runs this summer. The slugger currently holds a .434 OBP and has a .348 average.
Mallards utility man David Vinsky(Northwood) has had two spectacular games recently. Vinsky has homered in back-to-back ballgames and now has 25 RBI this season while hitting .310 at the dish. Vinsky is one of six Mallards regulars who holds an average above .300.
For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Spooktacular Lineup of Movies Headed to the Haunted Duck Pond Drive-In
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison
- Mallards General Manager Tyler Isham Moving On
- Mallards Offer Exclusive 2020 Bobbleheads with Drive-In Movies
- in Memoriam: Madison Mallards 2020 Season (2020-2020)