Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards
The Wisconsin Woodchucks used a big third inning to defeat the first place Madison Mallards 7-3 Friday night at Athletic Park. Five runs, all with two outs, came across in the third to give the Woodchucks a 6-0 lead. Cooper Swanson brought in two runners with his double to left field, advancing Javier Valdes, and Nick Loftin to home plate. Later in the same inning, Swanson stole 3rd base and scored off of TJ Raguse's single to left field.
Madison tried for a comeback in the fourth inning scoring 3 runs but were held at that for the rest of the game. The Woodchucks got one of those runs back in the bottom of the inning when Jaren Shelby scored on a sacrifice fly from Valdes.
Starter Jake Gross went four innings for the Chucks, giving up three runs (two earned) and striking out three. Drew Holweger got the win by pitching two scoreless innings of relief. Everett Hurst shut the Mallards down in the seventh and eighth, and Lenny Gwizdala closed the door in the ninth.
Raguse went 2-2 at the plate and Michael Fernandez was 2-3. Valdes had 3 RBI and Swanson crossed the plate twice.
The Woodchuck bullpen was stellar, throwing five innings of shutout relief.
The Woodchucks remain home as they take on the Lakeshore Chinooks tomorrow night. Also enjoy Saturday night with Trigs's post-game fireworks.. For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Rockers
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Rockers
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.