Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3
Wausau,Wis. - The Madison Mallards (24-7) could not overcome a five-run third inning, and dropped a 7-3 decision to the Wisconsin Woodchucks (9-22) Friday night. The Mallards magic number to win the first half South Division crown remains at two with four to play. Any combination of two Mallards wins or two Growlers losses will clinch first place and a playoff berth for Madison.
Relievers Brian Martinez (Connors State) and Tanner Rogen (Oral Roberts) kept the game close, but the Madison offense could only score three runs in the fourth inning.
It was a tight 1-0 game in the bottom of the third inning when the roof caved in on the Mallards. After starter Dustin Saenz (Texas A&M) got a strikeout for the second out of the inning with runners on first and third base, the Woodchucks strung together four hits to plate five runs and take a 6-0 lead. All five runs which scored in the inning were unearned. The Mallards scored three in the top of the fourth to halve the Woodchuck lead but were shut down the rest of the way.
- Mike Aiello (UW Whitewater) stroked a two-RBI bases loaded single in the fourth inning
- Drew Campbell (Louisville) had three hits on the night
- Brian Martinez kept the game close by pitching three and one-third inning of one run ball
- Tanner Rogen did not allow a hit or a run in his two innings of work
The Mallards return home Saturday night for a home and away two-game series against the Green Bay Bullfrogs. First pitch is an early 6:05 pm start and the game will feature an LSM Chiropractic car magnet phone holder giveaway at Warner Park. Team Zoom Canine Entertainment will also be performing throughout the night.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 29, 2018
- Loggers split with MoonDogs after 7-5 loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Bullfrogs Fall to Kingfish in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose in Extras to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets lose tough one to Kalamazoo 21-9 - Rockford Rivets
- Blake Walden Stymies Honkers in 11-0 Shutout Win - Waterloo Bucks
- Chinooks' Buis Delivers in 11th Hour for Walk-Off WIn - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Complete Sweep of Eau Claire - Willmar Stingers
- Border Cats Snap Huskies Four Game Winning Streak - Duluth Huskies
- Five-Run Inning Downs Mallards 7-3 - Madison Mallards
- Stephens, Ross Lead Rox to Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Blast Past Dock Spiders - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Rise over First Place Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Walden Leads Bucks Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look to Earn Series Split with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Have Chance to Clinch - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Win 8-7 Thriller over Honkers - Waterloo Bucks
- Frogs Knock-Off Kingfish in Comeback Effort - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Defeat Express 8-2 - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards to Host We Didn't Start the Fire Sale at the Duck Pond
- Northwoods League Announces 2020 Schedule: Mallards Launching 20 Summers of Wiener Campaign Commemorating 20th Season in Madison
- Mallards Alum Peter Alonso Awarded MLB National League Rookie of the Year
- Two Mallards Awarded 2019 Rawlings 'Big Stick' Honors
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City